During the festivals of Halloween and Thanksgiving, we tend to eat lots of sweets, chocolates, and heavy food filled with lots of calories and fat. Don't you think that it would be a good idea to enjoy the festival spirit by staying fit and fabulous without getting any extra flab? Here, we are going to explore some of the healthy, low fat, and low calorie pumpkin's pie, soup, and salad recipes to promote healthy eating diet and not gaining any weight during this festival season.
Pumpkins have many different usages to offer to all the people with different needs and purposes. It is filled with nutrition, vitamins, and various minerals, such as Zinc, Calcium, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Antioxidants, Magnesium, Fiber, and Potassium. All these various nutritious sources helps in boosting the over all health as well as has many other advantages to offer. Adding pumpkin to one's diet plan "Pumpkin: Get Healthy by Eating Pumpkins with Your Meal" would be a really good choice.
One can not only just make sweet dishes out of pumpkin like pumpkin pie or pumpkin cookies, but also they can make various zesty or tart flavored recipes from pumpkins like soups or salads. Here, we have Pleasant Pumpkin Pie, Zesty Pumpkin Soup, and Tart and Toasted Pumpkin Salad. All these recipes are low in fat and calories, so that one can surely take advantage of these recipes and not worrying about their body weight and health.
Pleasant Pumpkin Pie
- Preheat the oven at 400 degree.
- Get one deep bowl and pour the milk.
- Add egg white from the brown eggs one by one and take the yolk out from two of the eggs. Keep beating all the ingredients together.
- Add the pumpkin puree or paste. You can either get it canned directly from the store or make it at home. You can check out the Zesty Pumpkin Soup recipe, in which you will find how to make pumpkin puree at home.
- Add brown sugar, sea salt, and vanilla extract. Give it a good whisk and mix it well with other ingredients.
- Add all the dry ingredients together, such as cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, cardamom powder, and dry ginger powder.
- Mix all these ingredients together and make sure there is no lump in the mixture for pie filling.
- Get the uncooked pie crust on a baking tray and pour this pie mixture in to this crust.
- Put it aside in an oven and reduce the oven temperature from 400 to 355 degree. Let it cook for about 45- 50 minutes.
- The best way to know if your pie is ready is to check the outer crust; if it is golden yellow then it might be done. You can even check if your pie filling is firm or softer. If it is jiggling, then you should keep it inside for few more minutes until it gets cooked.
- After it is done, keep it at room temperature.
- Serve it or garnish it with low fat whipped cream on it if you like or you can just have it as it is.
Zesty Pumpkin Soup
- Put a deep pan on a stove and add an extra virgin olive oil in to the pan. Keep the heat on a medium.
- Add all the dry ingredients like cinnamon powder, clove powder, curry powder, and bay leaf. Mix it well on a medium flame.
- Add the crushed onion, minced garlic, and ginger's paste. You can also get ready made garlic and ginger's paste from the market. Let is sauté for a while.
- Add the vegetable broth directly with all these ingredients in a pan. Cover it with a lead and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- During this time, get your pumpkin's puree ready. Either you can buy canned pumpkin's puree or you can make it at home.
- To make pumpkin puree at home, first of all take the skin of from the pumpkin and cut it in to small pieces.
- Wash it and put in to water full of a pan and let it boil for about 10 - 15 minutes. Cover it with a lead and let it cook.
- Drain the excess water and put it in to a blender. Blend it until it gets paste like texture. Keep it aside at a room temperature. Your puree is ready.
- If you have canned pumpkin pieces, then just put it in blender and make a paste or puree out of it. If it is puree, then you are ready to go.
- Open the lead of a pan and add the pumpkin's puree in to the pan. Give it a good swirl for few minutes, so that all the ingredients can blend well.
- Don't forget to add the sea salt and again cover it with a lead. Let it cook for about 15 – 20 more minutes, so that it gets good consistency.
- Serve it hot in a soup bowl and garnish it with parsley on top of it.
Tart and Toasted Pumpkin Salad
- Get a big salad bowl and keep it ready for future usage.
- Get a cutting board and cut all the vegetables and fruit in medium sized pieces or you can buy canned vegetables and fruit to save you time and work. Put all these pieces in to a big salad bowl.
- Get one baking tray and add pumpkin pieces and pumpkin seeds. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil on it and let it toast.
- At the same time, get another baking tray and put red onion and orange bell pepper. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil and let it toast.
- Keep the oven at 355 degree and let it toast for about 15- 20 minutes.
- During this time, cut the romaine lettuce or get it a bag of cut romaine lettuce.
- In a salad bowl, add the balsamic vinegar, black pepper, dry mango powder, and sea salt. Mix all these ingredients together and keep it aside.
- Get the baking trays out from the oven and let it cool at room temperature for about 5 - 10 minutes.
- After it gets cooler, add all the ingredients together one by one and gently start mixing well with the salad dressing.
- Sprinkle the toasted pumpkin seeds before serving, so that one can also get some more crunches while enjoying the salad.
- Keep it at cool place or in refrigerator before serving.
These are not only some of the healthy recipes but they are also low fat and low calories food. Now, you can enjoy these fun recipes with your family and friends without worrying about getting any excess fat.