After the recent financial crisis, many people were obliged to put their house in the market before they were repossessed; at that time we didn’t have time to think about the different improvements to be made in order to get a better offer; it was a quick sale and as such many homeowners didn’t received the full value of the investment; in many cases the money received was just enough to pay the outstanding mortgage.
The economy has not fully recovered yet and there are several indicators pointing out to a second recession anytime soon; although interest rates have stayed seasonally low for the last few months, it is likely that they will increase in the near future. Have you noticed that there are more “For Sale” signs nowadays? The property market is becoming more competitive; buyers want a better deal but sellers want to recover the investment. The good news is that there are a few things you can do to improve the marketability of your home and avoid going into negative equity.
Getting Ready to Sell your House
The majority of home improvements will increase the value of your home; however, they do require more investment and time; so if you know for sure that you will be selling in a few months and have some spare cash you could easily add more value to your home and sell it quicker; if not, there are simple things you can do to get your house ready for sale.
- Repaint your front door.
- Repair any cracks in the walls.
- Repaint stained areas
- Paint the house with neutral colors.
- Clean the windows
- Repaint the windows (if needed)
- Install or change curtains and blinds if needed.
- Replace your windows with double glazing (good investment)
- Improve the look of your garden: it will not cost you lots and could increase the value of your home by as much as 10%.
- Throw away things you don’t need: de-clutter and you will see the benefits.
- Redecorate your kitchen and bathroom.
- Give to charity chairs, books, movies and other things you don’t want or need.
- Buy indoors plants (two or three will do): they bring life to your house.
- Maintain your house clean.
There are many things we can do to make your house more attractive; it might be a good idea to buy magazines or a book in order to have a rich array of inspirational designs that fits your house and style; however, remember that first impressions do matter and small changes to the exterior of your home can make a massive difference to what people are prepared to offer for your home; the best part is that you don't need to spend a small fortune, with the simple, easy and inexpensive tips suggested in this article will be enough to achieve your goal – Good luck!