Gourmet Soup - Ramen Style
Quick Ramen Soup
Make It Gourmet With Mushrooms
Great food doesn't need to be fattening to be delicious. Here is a healthy recipe that can be made in under 30 minutes and is warm and satisfying. Mushrooms are added to this recipe for flavor but are also a healthy addition. Rich in vitamin B5, mushrooms improve your skin and digestive health, as well as decrease anxiety and stress. The journal Nutrition Research has reported that vitamin B5 can help lower bad (LDL) cholesterol and raise the good (HDL) cholesterol in your body. Those are a few good reasons why adding mushrooms to your favorite soup recipe makes sense.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
You Will Need;
- 2, 85 g Mr. Noodles Instant Noodle packages (discard the seasoning)
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) sesame oil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) sliced shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and julienned
- 2 tsp (10 ml) chili garlic sauce
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) soy sauce
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups (750 ml) kale, coarsely chopped, ribs removed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) small, sweet green peas
- 4 tsp (60 ml) fresh basil or Thai basil
- Heat the sesame oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and fry for one minute.
- Add mushrooms and carrots and continue to cook for another three minutes or until softened.
- Add chili garlic sauce, soy sauce and broth. Bring this mixture to a boil.
- Add the ramen noodles and cook for three minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Stir in kale and peas and simmer for two more minutes.
Divide the soup between the bowls and top with basil. This recipe serves 8 or 4 with leftovers for lunch the next day. You may also wish to add cashews, either whole or chopped. You may, of course, substitute the shiitake mushrooms for your personal favorite or try others like; chanterelles, porcini, portabello, girolles, oyster or trompettes de mort. To lower the sodium content, use low-sodium broth and soy-sauce. Also, swap the chili garlic sauce for a homemade flavor boost; 1 clove of garlic, crushed combined with 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced. This gives just as much flavor and heat without the salt.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (original recipe); 166 calories, 3 grams of fat, 28 grams of carbohydrates (3 grams of fibre), 7 grams of protein.