...aint we luck we got 'em...
The TV Show Good Times is an American sit-com that originally aired in the 1970s and starred an all black cast. The show was set in the projects of Chicago and featured the every day struggles of a family living in the projects.
The show featured an great cast of actors including Ester Rolle who played Florida Evans, the matriarch of the Evans family; John Amos who played James Evans, Sr. the patriarch of the family; Jimme Walker who played the oldest son of the Evans family, James "J.J." Evans, Jr.; Ralph Carter who played Michael, J.J.'s younger brother, and Bern Nadette Stanis who played the sister to JJ and Michael. Other principal cast members include Ja'net Dubois who played Willona Woods, next door neighbor to the Evans family and best friend of Florida Evans, Janet Jackson who played Willona's adopted daughter, Penny; Johnny Brown, who played Nathan "Buffalo Butt" Bookman, the superintendent of the housing projects and Ben Powers who played Keith.
- The TV Show Good Times aired for six consecutive seasons from February 8, 1974 through August 1, 1979.
- Good Times was a spin-off the TV show Maude (which was a spin-off of the show All in the Family.)
- Good Times was set in the city of Chicago, IL.
- During its six season run Good Times peaked at #7 on the TV ratings charts.
- Although the name of the housing projects where the Evans family lived was never mentioned by name it is heavily implied that they resided in the infamous Cabrini-Green projects. Shots of Cabrini-Green were shown in the opening and closing credits.)
- Jimmie Walker was 27 years old when Good Times debuted but he played a 17 year old when the series first aired.
- John Amos is only 7 and 1/2 years older than Jimmie Walker but he played the father of Walker's character.
- Although the characters James and Florida Evans were supposed to be close in age on the show, the actors who played them had a nearly 19 year age difference.
- Ester Rolle and Ja'net Du Bois characters Florida and Willona were suppose to be childhood friends but in real life they shared a 25 year age difference.
- Good Times was the first television series to address the topic of STDs (known as VD in the 1970s.) The episode was called J.J. in Trouble and featured comedian, and host of The Tonight Show, Jay Leno in his first acting gig as a patient getting treated for VD at the same public health clinic where JJ goes to get tested for VD.
- In 1975 Esther Rolle was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best TV Actress in a Musical or Comedy for her roll as Florida Evans. She was up against Carol Burnett (The Carol Burnett Show), Valerie Harper (Rhoda), Mary Tyler Moore (The Mary Tyler Moore Show), and Jean Stapleton (All in the Family.) Valerie Harper won.
- Jimmie Walker was nominated in 1975 and 1976 for the Best Supporting Actor in a Series. He didn't win either year.
- All six seasons of Good Times are available on Amazon.com.
The TV show Good Times has been picked up by many broadcast stations to be played in syndication. Check your local listings to find out when you can watch episodes of Good Times.