When you are paying for a service, you sure want to be able to use it. When it comes to TV packages you want to be able to watch TV at any time. There are a number of issues that can cause the reception of your TV to black out or become intermittent. You should look at ways that you can fix these. Of course, if the problem persists, no matter what you do, you should contact the technical support offered by your service provider.
TV Packages Picture and Sound Poor and Breaking Up
This is a problem that can be caused by a number of factors. The main factor that you should look at is the weather. In this day and age you would think that the weather would not play havoc on the TV reception - but it does. However, there are other factors that could be causing this. There are a few things that you can do to try and fix this:
- The first is the general fix-it solution for any electrical problem. Turn the top box and TV off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on.
- You should also take a look at all of the connections which bring the TV signal to the TV. These plugs should be securely plugged in and the wires should not be compromised.
- If you have issues with picture when other devices are on then it may be electrical interference. You should try turning off all other electrical appliances and seeing if this fixes the problem.
- Your aerial may need to be realigned. If this is the case you should contact your service provider instead of trying to fix this yourself.
- If other people in the area have the same problem then it could be a fault with the service provider. There is nothing you can do with this problem but wait for the service to get back to normal.
Fuzzy Picture with Cable TV
If you are getting cable TV which is anything other than Sky there are a few reasons why the picture may be fuzzy. The most common is that the cable splitters are not working correctly. This means that the filter you have is not separating your broadband and TV services correctly. This is a problem that many Virgin Media broadband customers will have.
You can try to reset the top box and ensure that all the cables are connected correctly. This may bring the picture back but if it does not, you should look at changing the filter if you can. If your picture still does not come back after you have done this, then you will need to contact your service provider. These problems are generally fixed for free, which means that you will not have to pay a fee for the technician to come to your home.
The Screen goes Green and Nothing Happens
If you are getting the “green screen of death’” there are a few problems you could be experiencing. The most common problem is that the scart leads you are using are not connected properly. This is easy to fix by just checking the connection and making sure the cable is properly plugged in. The reason why you get the green screen is because the lead is not connected properly, and only one colour is coming through what little connection there is.
If you have plugged the cable in but the picture is not returning your should turn your top box off. Once 20 seconds have passed you need to turn the box back on. The picture should come back. If it does not, then you may have to contact your service provider.
Some of Your TV Channels are Gone
When people experience this problem they tend to panic because their channels are gone. You really shouldn’t panic as the channels are not gone forever. The main cause of this is that maintenance work has been or is being done in your area. When this work is being done, some of the TV channels you should be getting could be temporarily unavailable. There are a number of things that you can do in these cases:
- You may need to turn off your TV or the TV box.
- You should reset your box through a simple turn off and on system. If there is a glitch in your system then a reboot will fix this.
- If your system works off a relay transmitter this could be causing the problems. In some areas there are certain channels that relay transmitters are not able to work with.
Satellite TV Picture Issues
If you are using Sky TV or Freesat then you may experience problems with the picture during bad weather. If there is thunder and lightening the picture may not come through because of the interference caused by the lightning. Resetting you top box may help this problem as it does help most TV problems.
If this does not work then you should give your service provider a call. The weather may not be the cause as maintenance procedures will also cause a loss of picture. If there is no work being done you should wait for the weather to clear before you try resetting the box again.
No Satellite TV Reception
If you are not getting any signal at all with satellite TV, there are three things you can do:
- The first option you have is to reset your box. This will only work if there is no heavy rain or storm going on outside. The reset should take care of any problems that your box has which was causing the signal to be lost.
- If there is heavy rain or a storm then you cannot actually do anything. It is best that you find something else to do other than watch TV. Satellite signal should resume after the worst of the storm has passed.
- If you are not getting signal and the weather is clear then you should contact your provider. There may be a problem with your dish or box and this is something that they will be able to fix.