Cauliflower is a Latin word meaning cabbage flower. Its first reference was in a book by a Muslim scientist named Ibn Al Awwam in the 12th or 13th century.
Cauliflowers can be found in 4 different colors: white, orange, green and purple. There are 4 types of cauliflower
- Northwest European Biennial
- North European Annual
This vegetable can be steamed, fried, roasted, boiled and sometimes eaten raw. There is lot of fiber, vitamin C and water in cauliflower. Cooking reduces these components but steaming preserves them. So, including steamed cauliflower in your salad is the best option. Add a few florets of steamed cauliflower for your toast with some cheese and tah dah... you have got a tasty and nutritious snack. Cauliflower is also a good diet food option because it has no fat and no carbohydrates.
Method of preparing for cooking
- Cauliflower sometimes has worms in it, that we sometimes overlook, as the worms are also white like the cauliflower and because the cauliflower offers a nice hideout for the worms.
- We should cut the cauliflower florets so when washing, the worms will get washed off and it will also evens the cooking on it.
- After we remove the florets add a teaspoon of salt (salt has germ killing propoerties) and 1 cup of water and let it rest for 1/2 minute. Then rinse off and wash. Do not over soak in water as it might cause the florets to wilt.
- The leaves can be consumed but its very rare that a dish is made with the leaves. If you are making a dish like below please do include the leaves that are healthy.
Mark Twain said:
"Cauliflower is nothing but a cabbage with a college education"
RECIPE FOR STIR-FRIED CAULIFLOWER IN COCONUT MILK.
- 1 medium cauliflower
- oil to fry
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1 green chili halved
- 1/2 capsicum diced
- salt to taste
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder, *optional
- 1/4 tsp. coriander powder, *optional
- 1/4 tsp. cumin powder, *optional
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 medium sized cauliflower will be enough for a family of 5.
Cut the cauliflower into florets. Cut the leaves, if any, into 1/4 size. Add some salt and water, rinse and wash well.
Fry till light brown. Don't over fry.
Prepare the other vegetables and spice for the curry.
After onions are cooked add the egg and cauliflower.
Add the milk.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets. Cut the leaves, if any, into 1/4 its size.
- Put some salt and water, rinse and wash well.
- Drain well on a paper serviette. Add some salt and turmeric and fry the cauliflower till it turns light brown. (make sure you don't taste one as you will end up eating all). Don't fry the leaf.
- While the cauliflower is being fried, mix the onion, chili, capsicum, tomato,cauliflower leaves, chili flakes, chili powder, cumin powder and coriander powder, in a pan.
- Heat oil in a small wok, add the ginger garlic paste and add the above mixed vegetables. Add some salt and 1/4 cup water, cover and cook for 3 minutes or until onions turn soft.
- Now add one egg and let it cook for another minute without being stirred. After the egg is cooked mix well breaking the egg into scramble.
- Add the fried cauliflower, mix just once. Don't mix too much, as the cauliflower will break.
- Add the milk, cook for 1 more minute and you are done!
- Cauliflower is actually a flower
- Why it is white is when the cauliflower is growing the leaves surrounding the flower cover the flower so sunlight doesn't reach it. No sunlight means no photosynthesis so no chlorophyll.
- China is the worlds largest producer of cauliflower.
- Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable.
- Cauliflower works as a detox in our system.
- Cauliflower has a high amount of fiber that contributes to our digestive system health.
- The cauliflowers head is called 'a curd'.
- It belongs to the same family of brocoli, kale, cabbage and collard.
Cauliflower's Nutritional Value per 100 g
Energy 103 kJ (25 kcal)
Dietary fiber2 g
Thiamine (vit. B1)0.05 mg(4%)
Riboflavin (vit. B2)0.06 mg (5%)
Niacin (vit. B3)0.507 mg (3%)
Pantothenic acid (B5)0.667 mg (13%)
Vitamin B60.184 mg (14%)
Folate (vit. B9)57 μg (14%)
Vitamin C48 mg (58%)
Vitamin K15.5 μg (15%)
Calcium22 mg (2%)
Iron0.42 mg (3%)
Magnesium15 mg (4%)
Phosphorus44 mg (6%)
Potassium299 mg (6%)
Sodium30 mg (2%)
Zinc0.27 mg (3%)
With so many vitamins and minerals in cauliflower, I would like to eat it every day! Stir-fried cauliflower can be enjoyed with any kind of roti (Naan, pita bread, paratha etc.) or with steamed rice.