St. Valentine is approaching (recipe has been submitted on January 16th) and, if you're like me, you can find yourself out of ides for a gift. If your other half is not on a diet, he/she will surely appreciate these homemade sweets, which are delicious yet very simple to prepare.
The amount of St. Valentine's Hearts you'll obtain depends on the size of the cookie shapes you'll be using; in my case I got around 50, so feel free to cut down the amounts if you need less. Or you can serve them at team time, your friends will love them!
- 125 g of butter
- 125 g of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 85 g of flour
- 45 g of cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp of milk
- 50 g of dark chocolate
- Half sachet of baking powder (approximately 8 g)
For the icing
- 70 gr of dark chocolate
- Large bowl
- Scale, to measure the quantities
- Baking trays covered with baking paper
- Heart shaped cookie shape
- Two pots to melt the dark chocolate, using the bain-marie method
- Sieve (optional, but recommended)
- In a large bowl mix butter and sugar; I recommend to soften the butter by warming it up first.
- While you keep mixing, add the following:
- The two eggs.
- The flour, a bit at a time. A sieve would help avoiding lumps.
- The cocoa powder and the baking powder (a sieve is helpful here, too)
- The milk
- The dark chocolate, after you have melted it.
- Keep mixing until everything is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Lay the dough on a tray covered with baking paper and level it until you reach a thickness of about 1 centimeter.
- Put the tray in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the time has passed, take the tray out and let it cool down at room temperature.
- Using a heart-shaped cookie shape, cut out small hearts from the dough.
- Melt the dark chocolate for the icing and decorate your St. Valentine Hearts as you like. I personally like to lay all the hearts on a tray, put the chocolate into a syringe and create a simple zigzag pattern, but you can be creative and decorate them as you like.
- Let the icing cool down and put the hearts in a box, they will be a great gift for your beloved one. Meanwhile, you can enjoy the trimmings!
Store in a cool and dry place.