Simple Bread Recipe
The best think about making a homemade bread is the fact that you can afford to get creative, and use variety of ingredients. Here is a simple recipe to make your own bread, but before this, a couple of bread making tips:
Flour: Flour determines the quality of the final product. Bread flour makes the best loaves, though all-purpose flour can also make descent loaf of bread. Whole grain flours add color, flavor and texture to the bread.
Yeast: Always check the expiry date to make sure that your yeast is fresh. Cake yeast makes a wonderful loaf of bread, but it should be used within 1-2 days, or it may mold, even when stored in the refrigerator. The temperature of the water is important in making bread. If need be, use a thermometer to make sure that you have it right. When the yeast is dissolved in the water or any other liquid of your choice, the temperature must be 110 degrees. when combi
Eggs, sugar and salt: Eggs add color and flavor to bread. Sugar is optional, though, salt is essential to every bread recipe. This is because it helps to control yeast development, and prevents the bread from over-rising. You can make salt-free bread, but other ingredients such as vinegar or yoghurt are needed to help control the yeast growth.
Water or Milk: The type of liquid you use to make dough is important. Water will make a loaf that has more wheat flavor and a pleasingly firm and fresh crust. Milk and cream-based breads are richer, with a finer texture. They also brown more quickly because of the extra sugar and butterfat. Orange juice is a clever addition to whole wheat breads because its sweetness helps to balance the stronger flavor of the whole grain.
Fats: Butter, oil and fat such as lard add tenderness and flavor to bread. Bread made with these ingredients is also more moist. Whipped butter and margarine contain water, and are therefore, not desirable to make bread.
Toppings: Example include crushed nuts and seeds. Use a beaten egg to attach them to the bread crust. Brushing beaten egg yolk on the crust will create a shiny, golden crust, while egg whites make a shiny, crisp crust. If you brush milk or butter on the dough before baking, the crust will be softer and tender.
Simple Bread Recipe
This is likely one of the easiest bread recipes in making a homemade bread. You only need the following:
- 1 kg active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2-3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
Note: It make one loaf of bread, about 12 slices
- Dissolve yeast in the warm water and leave for five minutes, until bubbly.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of flour, salt and mix thoroughly for a few minutes. Gradually stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth, springy and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, and make sure that all the dough is greased.
- Cover and allow it to rise. this takes 1-2 hours.
- Punch down the dough. On floured surface, roll dough to a 12x6" rectangle.
- Roll up dough tightly, starting with 12" side. Pinch the edges and ends to seal. Roll and stretch dough carefully to shape, making ends thinner than the center.
- Place, seam side down, on greased cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let it rise until doubled. this takes 45 minutes to an hour.
- Slash top of the loaf with knife in three places, if desired.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes, until loaf is deep golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped with fingers. For a pleasantly firm and fresh crust, spray the loaf with water a few times during baking. Remove from baking tray and allow to cool.