Cooking with Eggs
Thinking about it, it's quite amazing that so many dishes can come from just one egg, each with its own flavor. An omelette with a couple of unique fillings is so different to a greasy English breakfast served with two fried eggs. Eggs go beyond breakfast, but I will be focusing on breakfast time.
The French Omelette
French Omelettes have a slight technique to them, but once you get the hang of it there is nothing to it. It just takes a little practice.
- Crack 3 eggs into a bowl with a spoon of chopped up dill with salt and pepper.
- Heat a pan over moderate heat with about 2 Tbsp of butter.
- Pour the eggs into the pan when the butter starts to sizzle
- Leave the eggs for a few seconds, then take spatula and mix them up like scrambled eggs.
- Leave them for a few seconds, then stir again to lightly combine the uncooked egg with the cooked egg.
- It should slide easily in the pan and look soft and moist on top.
- Add your fillings and tilt the pan down away from you and let the omelette fall to the edge. Fold the side nearest to you over by a third, and keep it rolling over, so the omelette tips onto a plate.
- Serve immediately.
The easy omelette
Simply put, this omelette should be creamy in the inside and crisp on the outside.
3 eggs per person
1 tsp butter per person
salt and pepper
- Beat the eggs with a fork
- Add the butter to a pan until it starts to sizzle
- Add the mixture to the pan and swirl it around so that it is firm on the outside and still a little runny on the inside
- Add the filling
- Gently slide it onto the plate and turn the pan over so that the omelette folds over onto the plate.
- Some people add a little cream to the mixture, but for a healthier alternative, definitely leave this ingredient out.
Amazon Price: $225.00 $115.95 Buy Now
(price as of Sep 14, 2016)
The Proper Poached Eggs Recipe
- Have a bowl of ice water ready next to your pot of simmering water to prevent your eggs from overcooking
- Fill a pot of water and bring to a simmer with a drop of vinegar and some salt. Crack the eggs into a cup before dropping them into the water.
- Let the eggs simmer in the water for no longer than 4 minutes. The whites must be cooked and the yolks should be almost set.
- Take the eggs out of the water gently with a slotted spoon and drop them into them into the ice water for 2 seconds
- Serve on a slice of Ciabatta after you have drained off the excess water with a slice of ham, chives and mustard sauce.
- You also get a special pan just for this - this is known as the cheat's method in the chefing world - but nobody has to know about this!
Eggs, Bacon and Everything Else at Once
This is my favorite breakfast. It’s not the most healthiest, but once in a while it won’t do that much harm. I love it because it’s all cooked in one pan, so it will be great for a camping adventure and there is not much washing up to do. There is nothing chefy about this meal and that’s probably why I love it so much.
- It’s your choice what you want. It could be mushrooms and bacon. Cut up some pork sausage and fry it up.
- Set this aside. Have a wrap ready warmed up
- Next crack 2 eggs and start to fry them with a bit of oil. Before the white starts to cook add everything else that you have fried and everything will cook.
- Swirl it around to make a round circle. Loosening the edges so nothing sticks.
- Slide everything out on top of the wrap with some seasoning
- You can either fold it over or leave it as a mini pizza.
It is not the most elegant of breakfasts, but it is definitely tasty.
Scrambled Eggs Recipe with a Difference
- When cooking scrambled egg some people prefer to use a little milk in their mixture and some will use purely eggs with a little seasoning for more of a richer flavor.
- What I like to do is add various ingredients. This adds a little interest to your final dish.
- Add spinach to a pan with a little olive oil and garlic and then pour in your scrambled egg mixture, add some feta at the last minute.
- Add mozzarella cheese to the egg mixture with fresh herbs and add it at once to a pan
- Add rocket just before you take the eggs off and mix it in for a healthier alternative.
Now you have to admit - this is definitely something different to enjoy.
Health on the Go - the Boiled Egg
People always complain that there is nothing on hand for them to munch on, and this is why they have to start snacking on things that automatically pack on pounds. However, one thing you can do to combat this is to plan in advance. Boiled eggs are fantastic for this. Of course, you can't just live on eggs, but they are pretty filling and great if you do a couple ahead of time.
There is a lot you can do with this type of egg. You can mix it with mayonaise, chop it up and add some avo, for example. You can slice it up and put it on your morning toast with a little salt and pepper. You can use them in salads, whether it is something traditional, like potato salad, or something that is more creative. It's a case of, anything goes really.
Amazon Price: $36.00 $25.60 Buy Now
(price as of Sep 14, 2016)