Prevention and Remedies for a Stiff Neck
Neck strains are quite common. In fact, almost everyone at some point or another in their lives has experienced a stiff neck or Â neck pain of some fashion.Â This article will give some preventative ideas for your neck pain and some remedies for a stiff neck.
First of all, why is the neck so easy to strain?Â The neck is made up of 7 vereabrae which are stacked up one on top of the other.Â The vertebrae are supported by muscles and ligaments. linked by small joints called facets and protected by soft cartilage between each vertebrae.Â All of this needs to support the weight of your head in ALL of Â your normal daily activities.Â It's not surprising our necks get strained, stiff or sore from time to time.
Some common daily activities that can lead to a stiff neck:
- Leaning over your desk or table while working.
- Holding a telephone between your head and shoulder.
- Driving with the seat not positioned properly.
- Sitting too far away from your computer keyboard.
- Performing a task which causes you to look down for an extended period of time,
- Reaching up too high or looking up too high over your head.
- Slouching while sitting.
- Reading while propped up in bed.
- Sleeping in any position which is not neck friendly.
- Any sort of repetitive activity which is uncomfortable to the neck.
Remedies for a Stiff Neck:
- First of all, remember that the correct positioning of your neck is toÂ keep it set back from your chin and tucked in, in a comfortable position.
- InÂ any sitting position, the chair should provide adequate support for your arms and shoulders.Â
- A quality pillow should be used which should be placed under one's neck as opposed to the head. Use how you feel in the morning as an indicator of proper sleeping positioning.
- Heating pads can help alleviate mildly stiff necks.Â Just be careful not to leave on your neck for too long or fall asleep with a heating pad on.
- Gentle stretching excercises can be very helpful for a stiff neck.Â These can also be helpful in strengthening the neck and preventing future neck injuries.
Â Just remember to be very cautious with any sort of neck pain.Â If the you have any notion that there may be problem other than a simple stiff neck, you should immediately see your doctor.Â If stiffness and/or pain does not go away in several days, consult your doctor.Â Â Neck problems can have a negative impact on one's quality of life and should always be addressed immediately.