According to statistics, motorcycles get involve in road and traffic accidents more often than cars, SUVs, and trucks. This is because these vehicles travel at higher speeds and pose greater risks to their drivers. Aside from broken bones and damaged spinal cords, one common injury that motorcyclists get in an accident is road rash.
Unlike other types of injuries resulting from motorcycle accidents, road rash injuries are non-life threatening because only the skin and upper tissues are damaged. However, this kind of injury is very painful due to scraped skin. If you want to avoid this injury, you should wear protective gear and clothing such as:
- Jacket to cover the upper body. It would be better to wear a long-sleeved jacket to protect your arms and elbows.
- Gloves to protect the wrists and hands.
- Jeans to shield your thighs and lower legs.
- Shoes to protect your feet. Avoid wearing slippers and sandals when riding a motorcycle.
Aside from wearing protective gear, you should also become responsible whenever you are riding your motorbike. Following are some tips to ensure a motorcyclist's safety:
- Avoid over-speeding. Driving beyond the speed limit puts your life in danger.
- Obey traffic rules and regulations. Disobeying traffic lights and regulations would result in accidents.
- Avoid too much swerving on the road. If you swerve too much, you might lose your balance and crash.
Just in case you were involved in a motorcycle accident and you suffered a road rash injury, you can apply first aid treatment. Here are some things you should do while treating your wound:
- Move to the side of the road to avoid being hit by other vehicles.
- Wash the injury and remove any debris such as pebbles, sand, etc.
- Cover the road rash with a clean bandage or cloth to prevent infection.
While these steps can reduce the pain and stop bleeding, you should still seek professional medical assistance to apply advanced care and treatment to your injury. Once you have recovered from your injury, you may identify if there are parties that were liable for your injuries. If yes, you should search for them and demand reimbursement for your damages and expenses. If they refuse, you will need the help of a legal expert.
Obtaining your damages in a motorcycle accident is simple as long as you have enough evidence and you have a reliable Los Angeles accident attorney with you. If both these factors are present, you would eventually win the case and recover your losses.