Tips to enhance your computer's performance.
Perhaps you missed the performance of your computer way back the time you have bought it? You wanted to repair computer by yourself since it’s getting slower than it was a year before. While the degrading computer performance doesn’t mean that some parts are damaged, the trend is that computers will lose their speed over time. Some reasons that will slow a computer performance are the programs installed in your system, disorganized files or some software consumes a lot of memory and back up disk space.
Whatever the reason are, there are many ways to repair a computer and boost up your PC to restore its performance. Here are some useful tips that will fix a slow computer.
NOTE: Always make a back up of your important files before performing the following steps.
- Check for Viruses and Spyware: Viruses eat up your system's resources and slow down your pc's performance. Choose good anti-virus software that can remove them automatically, and make sure that your PC is clean. Spyware is one of the largest problems of internet users. These programs have become so widespread that are even more common than viruses. Spyware collects personal information without letting you know about it and steals usernames and passwords from the Web sites you visit. What is more, it can hamper your computer's performance. There are many free services online that can help you remove spyware and viruses.
- Free Up Wasted Space: Try to remove unused programs and drop unnecessary files, to free up disk space. What is more, you can remove the Temporary Internet files, empty the Recycle Bin, remove optional Windows components that you don't use and even clean your Desktop. Put the files from the desktop in the "My Documents" folder and create shortcuts on your Desktop for the folders you use often. This simple action will increase the operating memory of your system and make your computer run faster.
- Run Disk Defragmenter: Disk fragmentation slows down your system considerably. It takes longer for your computer to search the hard disk and the response time is much increased. To use this function click Start- All Programs -Accessories, click "System Tools", and then "Disk Defragmenter". Then choose the drives you want to defragment and click the Analyze button. After that a dialog box will appear, letting you know whether you should defragment the drive or not. Click "View Report" to get detailed information about the fragmented disk. However before even trying this, it would be a good idea to back up all your work to a different hard drive or CD. If there is a power outage during this operation, it can cause major damage.
- Check for Disk Errors: If your PC runs too much time reading and writing data to the hard drives, perhaps these performances are affected by badly arranged or incorrect data on your hard disk. Run Check Disk in your Windows.
- Fix Corrupt Registry Files: Your PC registry is like a directory of all the programs you have on your system. If you're experiencing problems such as: frequent crashes, frequent freezes, slow start-up time, too many error messages, slow computer speed, and "The Blue Screen Of Death", then the problem is probably a corrupted registry. There are registry cleaners online that can fix this problem safely in a matter of seconds.
- Increase Memory (RAM): This is the most significant step in fixing a slow computer. The higher your RAM memory, the faster your computer runs. In Windows, Vista needs more RAM memory compared to Windows XP. But eventually when you increase the RAM of any existing computer, it directly increases the PC speed. Make sure to buy the same specification of the memory that was previously installed in your computer.
- Update Devices: Some of the computer components come with device drivers to make it runs properly. From time to time, manufacturers of these computer parts will release new updates for the device drivers. Ensure to update regularly the drivers to enhance the function and performance of your system.
- System Restore: Make sure to back up all important files in your computer. The computer system has an option to restore back to its original manufacturer settings.
- Reformat your Hard Disk: This process will definitely erase all the data in your hard disk. So make sure to back up your files through external hard drive. Basic knowledge in computer installation is needed because a fresh operating system will be installed in this process.
- Clean the inside of your computer: As the years went by, your computer will accumulate dusts and dirt inside. Make sure to remove these factors by brushing off and vacuuming.
I hope these easy steps will help anyone in fixing a slow computer. Feel free to suggest more steps in improving a computer’s speed.