The Best Age Eraser for Your Skin
We spend million of dollars every year on anti-aging skin products in search of a miracle cure to erase lines and wrinkles from our face, and although we still have not been able to found the legendary “fountain of youth”, it seems that we are a step closer to eliminate or at least reduce the appearance of wrinkles with retinoids.
There have been many researches confirming that retinoids (vitamin A) helps the skin to become younger; improving at the same time chemicals in our face known as “dermatological repairers”, nowadays retinoids is one of the most effective anti-wrinkle treatments in the market. Originally used by acne sufferers, this form of vitamin A has extended its use into wrinkle care, thanks to its large skin renewal effect.
There are several types or retinoids available today, from prescribed products to beauty brands; they can be found in different concentrations; being the prescribed products the ones with higher concentration and effectiveness but also with the higher exfoliating effect, making the skin sensitive to the sun. Experts confirmed that creams bought in shops tend to be less effective; but even when over the counter beauty products contain a lower percentage of this “magic substance” they are safer to use at home without any medical supervision and with more studies being in place at the moment, beauty products will become an effective tool to guarantee a younger looking face.
The inclusion of retinol in our daily routine helps to stimulate collagen production and the severity of wrinkles, roughness and aging sings, improving the upper layers by increasing cell production and the production of collagen. As people age, the skin produces less collagen; for this reason the skin becomes thinner and less smooth resulting in fine lines, deepening with time and producing wrinkles.
Retinoids and Retinols: Facts and Suggestions
- Retinol is the form of vitamin A more stable and pure at the moment; it is also, one of the most common and effective ingredients in anti-aging treatment (fine lines and deep wrinkles) as they stimulate cell turnover.
- It is possible that during the first two weeks of treatment you skin could become dry, red and flaky, that is why it is recommended to use it every third night, increasing the application to every day after the initial two weeks; if you skin is ultra-sensitive, retinoids might not be good for you.
- They help with age spots/sun and reduce the size of the pores.
- It will take about three months to see results.
- You can use it thought the year, even during summer time but remember to use sun-block protection everyday (it will also help the aging process)
- Hydroxyl acids can be combined with retinoids; they exfoliate the skin and prepare it to absorb the retinol better.
- The first retinoid (tretinoin) was approved by FDA almost 40 years ago as a prescription acne treatment; if you want to know more about how retinoids can help with acne problems, please read my article: Adult Acne, how to get rid of pimple
- You should not use retinoid if you are pregnant.
Retinoids is not a magic or definitive solution but an important dermatological discovery in the last years that should be considered. You need to combine Retinoids with a healthy diet (at least seven pieces of vegetables and fruit a day) and at least thirty minutes of moderate exercise four days a week.