Russian fried meat patties (kotlety) recipe
Meat patties, or kotlety as they are called in Russia, are another popular Russian dish made of ground meat, eggs, finely chopped onions and moistened bread.
It is very easy to make and requires very simple ingredients. This dish is definitely one of my children’s favorite.
1.5 pounds ground pork
1.5 pounds ground beef
½ pound of stale or dry bread
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup of whole milk
½ cup of flour or bread crumbs
2 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1. Remove the crust from the bread, tear the bread in small pieces. Soak the bread in milk for 10-15 min until thoroughly moistened, then mash it into a paste using a fork or just your hands. Squeeze the bread dry.
2. Combine the beef, pork, onion, bread, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir the mixture with your hands until combined and uniform.
3. Heat about 1 tbls of canola oil in 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat until simmering.
4. Working with about 4 tablespoons of meat mixture at the time, form a patty about ¾ inch thick by gently rolling and pressing it between your hands.
5. Roll each patty in flour or breadcrumbs. Cook the meatballs in a single layer until nicely brown, 3-4 min on each side. Break one patty and make sure it is cooked through.
6. Transfer meatballs to a pot and repeat steps 3 to 6 until all mixture is used.
In Russia this dish traditionally is accompanied with mashed potatoes or macaroni but I think any veggies will do. You can also substitute beef and pork meat with ground turkey or chicken; just add ½ stick of unsalted butter in a mixture. Russian meat patties ( kotlety) store well in refrigerator for 3-4 days. If they become a little dry, add about 1/3 cup of water to the pot, cover the pot and heat it up over medium heat for 10-12 min.
Usually I always end up with too many patties. They are delicious but after couple of days you family usually gets tired of eating them every day. This is how you can revive kotlety with the store-bought tomato sauce.
1 jar tomato sauce (I love Bertolli Tomato&Basil and Bertolly Tomato&Fresh Mushrooms)
4-5 leftover meat patties ( kotlety)
1 onion, chopped
1 pound spaghetti
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 cup of fresh basil, chopped (optional)
1. Bring 4 quarts of water to boil in a large pot for spaghetti
2. Heat 1 tbls of canola oil in a pan, add onion and cook for 3-4 min until nicely brown. Add 4 cups of your favorite tomato sauce. Bring to simmer, stirring frequently.
3. Reduce the heat to low and place the meat patties in the sauce. Continue to simmer, turning the patties occasionally, until heated through.
4. Place the sauce on top of spaghetti. Serve it with grated Parmesan and basil.