In a nutshell, in order to be found by search engines, blogs need interesting, regularly posted content, application of varied self-promotion and networking strategies, as well as SEO-friendly settings and appropriate design. Learn how to SEO a blogger blog with initial settings and preferences to not hinder the performance of your site within search engines.
Things You Will NeedA blog hosted on blogspot
Step 1Choose an SEO-Friendly Title and Description
Your blog should contain a title giving both web-users and search engines a chance to figure out its content automatically - you should also avoid literary or too general terms in your description. Write both in an informative manner, using keywords relevant to the subject of your blog. The title should be concise; and the description written in full sentences, rather than as a list of tags.
Step 2Choose an SEO-Friendly Domain Name
Blogger offers domain names purchasable via its own interface (Setting -> Publishing) for mere $10 a year. It's really worth investing, because blogs hosted on blogspot and thus containing the blogspot.com part in their web-address are considered sub-domains which are typically ranked lower. Alexa, for example, doesn't even consider subdomains in its rankings. Either way you choose, make sure your blog's url contains keywords similar to those which appear in the title, so that your blog will be found more easily.
Step 3Insert Meta-Tags and Meta-Description in Your Blogger Blog
Meta tags constitute an additional piece of information about the contents of your blog, and meta description is the text which appears under the name of your blog on the search results' page. They should be well-keyworded and informative, so as to seem relevant to web users and invite them to click on your links. Since blogger doesn't provide its users with the option to input meta-data anywhere in the settings, the only way to add it is to edit the html and add meta-data manually.
Step 4Choose Your Blogger Blog Settings That Improve SEO
After you've meta-tagged and meta-described your blog, as well as chose blog title and description, it's time to customize your preferences. There are certain customizable settings which directly affect your blog's performance within search engines - here's how you should handle them:
1. Choose yes to "add your blog to our listings?" - this will allow of indexing more quickly;
2. Choose yes to "let search engines find your blog?" - otherwise your blog will remain private;
3. Choose no to "show e-mail post links?" - they're quite redundant in practical terms and decrease your keyword density;
4. Choose the possibly smallest amount of posts to be shown on the homepage - most of your visitors will arrive from search engines, so if your blog post catches their attention, they will browse around anyway. If you leave too many posts on the home page, they will significantly decrease the load speed and may discourage both your readers as well as google spiders crawling your blog. In other words, showing too many posts on the front page is counterproductive;
5. Show comments - not only do comments enhance networking and provide feedback for you, they are also a reason for google to send spiders to your blog more often. Google priviliges content which receives lots of user feedback;
6. Enable archiving - your visitors may want to browse your earlier posts no longer featured in the feed; remember to set archive frequency appropriate to the amount of posts you make daily, weekly, or monthly;
7. Allow blog feeds - and set them to "short". They will attract traffic from all the sites where you post them either as feeds or as widgets; they will eat up potential traffic if you set them to "full". Feeds are a popular subscription option and many sites allow of posting your feeds with adsense, so don't waste that opportunity;
8. OpenID - enable and post comments on other sites allowing OpenID posting, it's a way to promote your blog with relevant comments posted on other blogs and websites.
As you can see from the above article, before you actually concentrate on producing high-quality, interesting and well-optimized content as well as promoting your blog via networks and social bookmarking sites, you can optimize your blog for search engines with a couple of formatting options and have a better start.
Tips & Warnings1. Remember that each time you switch your template design, all changes previous applied to the html code of your blog will be lost.
2. If your blog is DoFollow, you should pay extra attention to comment spam as well as any outgoing links posted in them.
3. While you can change your web address at any time, it's better to do it at an early stage of developing your blog. While any new address you choose will be automatically redirecting all traffic to your new url, your rankings will dwindle significantly.