Among vehicles that have four wheels or more, trucks are considered the most prone to accidents. This is because of its tall frame which makes it susceptible to rollover crashes. When a truck gets involved in such accidents, people might get injured or killed, and properties may become damaged or destroyed.
If you are a truck driver and you want to avoid these unpredictable accidents, here are some things you should do:
- Always look at your mirrors. You should look at your side and rearview mirrors at least once every 5 to 10 seconds.
- Park only on designated areas. Because trucks are large vehicles, they should not be parked anywhere. In some highways, there are certain parking slots that are exclusively for trucks.
- Signal early. Use your car horn and signal lights moments before stopping or making a turn.
Similarly, there are also things you need to avoid in order to prevent getting into an accident. Here are some of these don'ts:
- Do not drive a truck without satisfying certain traffic standards. Before a truck can hit the road, it should first undergo an inspection conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Never overload the truck. Trucks that have heavy cargo are prone to rollover accidents.
- Never go over the speed limit. Truck drivers who drive fast may find it difficult to stop the truck immediately, especially in emergency situations.
Of course, drivers of other vehicles should also become aware when they are near trucks and trailers. Following are some tips for these motorists to prevent hitting or colliding with a truck:
- Do not enter a truck driver's blind spot in order for them to avoid you.
- Do not drink and drive to prevent impairing your driving skills.
- Do not drive too close to the truck so you will have enough time to react if it stops suddenly.
Driving a truck is much more difficult than handling a car because trucks can cause massive damage to property and inflict life-threatening injuries to pedestrians and other motorists. But if you follow these simple reminders, your worries would certainly be reduced, whether you are a truck driver or another motorist. If you have become a victim or you were involved in a truck accident, you have the right to obtain compensation from the responsible party. In this situation, you can use the help of an Los Angeles Injury Attorney for your claim.