Cricket is a game which has developed tremendously over the years. From being a leisurely sport of the nineteenth century to the recent introduction of twenty-twenty format, it has evolved in such a fashion that no other sport can match it. During this period it introduced many new facets that made it to adapt the changes in time. The avid fans not only cherished the game played by genial cricketers like Donald Bradman, Trumpet, Garfield Sobers, Sunil Gavaskar, Ian Botham, Kapil Dev etc, but also enjoyed the sports coverage done by Neville Cardus, Tony Cozier, Christopher Martin-Jenkins. For a young mind, this coverage inspired them to learn the command over language, science and discipline in life. Of course, for any avid fan, whenever there was a game of cricket around, it was a celebration time. However the big difference between today and the (g) olden days is the proliferation of matches and the introduction in the form of twenty-twenty cricket.
Decline in bowling standards:-It is very difficult to ascertain whether the twenty-twenty format will serve any purpose to the bowlers. This is because a fast bowler needs at least two overs to adjust to the conditions and settle down to a rhythm. However, the quota available is just four overs; so, he is used in two spells. Thus, one can rarely see a fast bowler in full flow. Same is the case with spinners. The spinners will loose the art of flight and loop. Already we do not see spinners bowling the arm ball in between flighted deliveries. In future we will have more and more trundlers and military medium pace bowlers and Spinners who spin the ball occasionally. This is because the system will not have skilled people to impart the knowledge of conservation and utilization of Physical and inner strengths to the younger generation in schools and universities. Cricket is a game which thrives on the skills of the bowlers. Thus late seventies, eighties and early nineties are always considered golden period for bowlers because of the intensity shown by Jeff Thompson, Dennis Lillie, Andy Roberts, Michael Holding, Ian Botham, Richard Hadlee, Kapil Dev, Imran Khan, Shane Warne, Anil Kumble and Muralitharan. Take all of these people out and the system that developed them, every batsman would have scored a minimum of ten thousand runs in 100 tests because of the lollipop like balls bowled at them!
Proliferation of Matches: - Twenty- twenty is a very short duration game borrowing heavily from the methods of Baseball, Football and Hockey. Commercialization has entered deeply into every branch and fig of the game and it is going to be very difficult to separate both of them in the near future. So spectators will have to bear with sub-standard cricket for international matches and full throttled contests for the matches of the franchisees because of the injuries and fatigue of star cricketers due to continuous matches played by them for the franchisees.
General fall in interest due to societal changes: - We are stepping into an age where every thing is going to get finished in no time. Youngsters like Fast foods, less time consuming sports, and display a general apathy towards the interests of the previous generation including the ability to work out for long hours. So in the near future, we may have a fast bowler hurling a ball from two steps or from a stand still position or a spinner bowling more carom balls or Doosras for variety. Cricket administrators have wisely brought in the twenty-twenty format but the game of cricket is not like baseball or football which is short duration game by birth.
1) Proper calibration of commercial interests and complete ban of franchisee cricket in twenty-twenty format.
2) Test championships in a four year time frame and it is to be played in B class cities.
3) Fifty over cricket to be changed as per suggestions given by the batting great, Sachin Tendulkar.
4) An International series between two countries should include a five test series, five one-dayers and five twenty-twenty format games. A country should play one home and one away series in a year.
5) As far as possible the matches should be programmed to see that they do not clash with the examination schedules. Viewing of television during examination time may ruin the academic career of many a bright talent in the country, where cricket is a craze among the present generation and this is happening very much due to the franchisee sponsored twenty-twenty cricket.
6) Domestic matches should be played among the schools and colleges in the entire country and not between states and that too in the longer format only and development program in schools and universities to be launched to spot the talent.
7) Cricket boards should be run by distinguished former cricketers.
8) It is high time Human Resource and sports machineries to join hands to propel the game to new heights.