There are a lot of horror movies that come out every year and it’s very easy to understand how a lot of good ones can slip through the cracks never to be seen or enjoyed. Lists like these will always be popular because they not only tell you about the scary movies you need to see, but let you in on the real gems that were never talked about… until now. I particularly hope you enjoy this part of the series as it brings a few of those lost gems to light.
Ten More Nightmarish Creations Intended To Scare You to Death
21- Paranormal Activity (2007): A couple experiences increasing paranormal activity in their home and tries to catch it on video. We see pretty much the entire movie from the eyes of a camera. Word of mouth made this film one of the most profitable films ever made.
• Creepy Scene: Near the end of the movie an invisible entity grabbed Katie by the leg while she was sleeping. The genius of the scene is that Katie didn’t really react at first. It’s almost as if she was a heavy sleeper and had to wake up…and then she started screaming.
• Memorable Quote: Basically, they're these malevolent evil spirits that only exist to cause pain and commit evil for their own amusement. It's pretty creepy- I mean, they stalk people for years, like decades, and sometimes they're really intelligent in the way they do things to freak you out.
• Trivia: The actors weren’t given scripts. Instead they were given outlines on how to behave and what to discuss.
• Creepy Scene: The creepiest scene happened while the credits rolled. We see Leslie Vernon lying on a table in a coroner’s room. Credits roll while the song “Psycho Killer” by the Talking Heads is being played. Near the end of the song Vernon sits up.
• Memorable Quote: It is going to get wet in here tonight. Lace your boots up kiddies.
• Trivia: Watch for the three girls jumping rope in the background when Leslie is picking out potential victims at the school. They are a reference to the movie “A Nightmare on Elm Street”.
23- The Exorcist (1973): The Exorcist deals with the demon possession of a young girl and the priests who try to exorcise it. This film is often on TV, but the most shocking parts are edited out. Do yourself a favor and buy the DVD. Now that I’ve grown up I often wonder if Linda Blair (Regan) had to go see a psychiatrist because of some of the things she had to do and say.
• Memorable Scene: Regan’s head doing a 360.
• Memorable Quote: Especially important is the warning to avoid conversations with the demon. We may ask what is relevant but anything beyond that is dangerous. He is a liar. The demon is a liar. He will lie to confuse us. But he will also mix lies with the truth to attack us. The attack is psychological, Damien, and powerful. So don't listen to him. Remember that - do not listen.
• Trivia: The bedroom was refrigerated with four air conditioners and temperatures would go below zero. Sweat would freeze on some of the cast and crew.
24- Phantasm (1979): Mike, a teenager, follows his brother to a funeral where he sees a tall man easily lift a coffin on his own. He decides to investigate and finds that the Tall Man is going from town to town killing people and transforming them into his own army. Mike, his older brother, and Reggie the ice cream man decide to stop him. They were several sequels, all decent.
• Memorable Scene: One of the silver spheres kills a man by drilling into his head and evacuating his blood. He urinates on the floor after falling down dead.
• Memorable Quote: You play a good game boy, but the game is finished; now you die.
• Trivia: Coscarelli found inspiration for the title from Edgar Allan Poe who frequently used the term in his writings.
25- Spellbinder (1988): A man sees a young woman in trouble and goes to her rescue. He ends up falling in love with the girl, but doesn’t realize she’s part of a witch’s coven. A very subtle horror film that leaves a bad taste in your mouth due to its ending.
• Memorable Scene: Unfortunately, I can’t tell you the most memorable scene because it reveals the twist ending. Guess you’ll just have to watch it.
• Tagline: A chance encounter. A dream come true. A man would do anything for a girl like Miranda.
• Memorable Scene: The warlock escapes the witch hunter barefoot. The hunter gives some nails and a hammer to Kassandra and tells her to drive the nail in wherever she sees his footprint. She does this and it causes him great pain. She sees where his head has hit the ground and she pounds a nail in. A scream is heard and she can see that the warlock has been knocked out momentarily. She goes and gets back the object he had used to curse her.
• Memorable Quote: Next time there won't be any spells, no hexes, no potions. Next time, he's going to kill me.
27- Lake Placid (1999): A huge man-eating crocodile goes on a killing spree. Bridget Fonda and Oliver Platt really add a lot to this film and make it very entertaining. A good blend of horror and comedy.
• Memorable Scene: Betty White’s character leading a blindfolded cow to the edge of the lake to feed the crocodile.
• Memorable Dialogue:
[Upon finding a decaying toe]
Hector: Is this the man that was killed?
Sheriff Hank Keough: He seemed... taller.
• Trivia: Betty White is a strong supporter and spokesperson for PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals).
28- The Midnight Meat Train (2008): A violent killer hunts victims in New York City’s underground subway system as a struggling photographer is hunting him. A very underviewed film due to lack of advertising by Lions Gate.
• Creepy Scene: The ghostly figure driving the vehicle.
• Tagline: The most terrifying ride you’ll ever take.
• Trivia: One of the reasons this picture had such a poor opening is that it opened in 102 discount “dollar” theatres.
29- Let the Right One In (2008): A young vampire befriends a bullied boy in the same apartment building and the relationship slowly grows stronger throughout the film. The American remake is decent, but the original is much better despite having to read subtitles.
• Scariest Moment: Cats attack their owner after sensing there is just something not quite right about her.
• Tagline: Eli is 12 years old. She’s been 12 for over 200 years and she just movie in next door.
• Trivia: The sounds of biting into sausages and drinking yogurt were used to simulate biting into skin and drinking blood.
• Cringe Scene: These scenes are so ultra-violent that I dare not describe them to you.
• Creepy Quote: Martyrs are exceptional people. They survive pain, they survive total deprivation. They bear all the sins of the earth. They give themselves up. They transcend themselves… they are transfigured.