I find it interesting how the words below can comfortably be used in a conversation regarding scary movies. Do you?
Good: enjoyable, pleasant
Horror: the strong feeling caused by something shocking or frightful
Movie: the showing of a film
Fear: anxiety brought on by real or possible danger
Creepy: having or causing a feeling of fear or disgust
Fun: a source of amusement
Scream: to utter a shrill, piercing cry in fright
Terror: intense fear
Dread: fear mixed with awe, reluctance and uneasiness
Recommendations to Scare and Disturb
41- Puppet Master (1989): Andre Toulon has figured
• Blade: Ghostly white face dressed in black. Has a blade and a hook for hands.
• Jester: Can rotate three portions of face showing various expressions.
• Pinhead: Has a small head sitting on top of a large chest and hands. Is unusually strong.
• Leech Woman: Vomits leeches onto people.
• Tunneler: Has a cone-shaped drill on top of his head.
42- Friday the 13th Part III (1982): Jason Vorhees is
• Memorable Scene: Jason walks out onto a wooden boat dock towards Vera wearing Shelly’s hockey mask and carrying a spear gun. You know what happens next.
• Memorable Dialogue:
Chuck: How come you never scream when we have sex?
Chili: Give me something to scream about.
• Trivia: The movie’s release date was on Friday the 13th.
43- The Sixth Sense (1999): Haley Joel Osment plays a
• Jump Moment: There is an accident up ahead. Cole and his mom are waiting in the car and he begins to tell her someone has died. The ghost is revealed to be standing next to his window.
• Memorable Quote: I see dead people.
44- Jeepers Creepers II (2003): The Creeper is still on the
• Memorable Scene: In the opening scene a boy is fixing some scarecrows in a cornfield. He looks at one scarecrow that looks strange and sees it look at him and then quickly look away. The “scarecrow” remains as a statue as the boy slowly creeps up to it. At the opportune time the creature grabs the boy and after a struggle flies off with him while his father and brother is chasing them.
• Memorable Quote: Every 23rd spring for 23 days it gets to eat.
45- Day of the Dead (1985): A
• Memorable Scene: Some members of the group visit a city in a helicopter looking for survivors. They land and use a megaphone to try and call for survivors. All that come are zombies.
• Memorable Quote: We don't have enough ammunition to shoot them all in the head. The time to have done that would have been in the beginning. No, we let them overrun us. We are in the minority now, something like 400,000 to one by my calculation.
• Trivia: Originally Romero had grander ideas for this film but the budget was cut in half. This forced Romero to scale back the story and rewrite the script.
46- Queen of the Damned (2002): The vampire Lestat
• Trivia: Warner Bros. was into its last year of owning film rights to the first three Vampire Chronicles books. After that the rights went back to Anne Rice to sell to whoever she wanted to. Warner Bros. got writers to combine the last two books “The Vampire Lestat” and “Queen of the Damned.”
47- Hostel (2005): College students are lured to a hostel (shared room) only to be drugged and taken to a place where rich people pay to kill humans. A very graphic and violent film that has caused it to be banned in certain countries. The term “torture porn” was batted around a lot during its release. There is also a Part 2 which I also recommend.
• Funny Quote: I’m so happy I shaved my balls.
• Memorable Scene: The first appearance of the Bubble Gum Gang; a gang of violent kids that go around and demand bubblegum from people. Despite their cuteness, they will kill you.
48- The Last House on the Left
• Foreboding Quote: We don’t wanna off someone first night out. I mean, it’d be a shame to get this floor all messed up with blood.
• Trivia: The realistic movie blood was a made up of red and blue food coloring mixed with caramel syrup.
49- Ringu (1998): A cursed video tape ends up
• Disturbing Scenes: Just about all of the black & white flashback scenes freak me out.
• Tagline: One curse, one cure, one week to find it.
• Trivia: To get the unnatural movements of Sadako coming out of the well, the actress was filmed walking backwards and the film was run in reverse.
50- Stuck (2008): An overworked nurse commits a hit-and-run
• Tagline: Two destinies are about to collide.