Before continuing this list of horror flicks I have a fun experiment for you to do (if you want). The next time you get together with some friends to watch a scary movie keep an eye on your friends instead of the movie. I guarantee that it will be just as interesting to watch them jump and cringe as it will be to watch the film. I got this idea from listening to some commentary of a director (I can’t remember who). He said he liked to go to the theaters and watch how the audience reacts to his movies. On with the list…
Ten More Good Scary Movie Choices
51- Buried Alive (1990): Clint is an ordinary working man whose wife is having an affair with a doctor. The cheating couple comes up with a way to kill him and get the insurance by poisoning him with some fish toxin. Lucky for him they botch the dosage and the mortuary buries him in a cheap coffin with a new paint job. Although it was a “made for TV movie,” it could have easily opened on the big screen.
• Tagline: She planned on her husband’s death. But not on his coming back for revenge.
52- Demons (1985): Groups of people fight for their lives in an
• Tagline: They will make cemeteries their cathedrals and the cities will be your tombs.
53- House of 1000 Corpses (2003): Two young
• Memorable Quote: It’s all true. The bogeyman is real and you found him.
54- Dead Alive (1992): Also known as
• Gore Scene: The hero decides to use a rotary lawnmower strapped to his chest to dispatch some zombies.
• Memorable Quote: Story goes these great big rats come scuttling off the slave ships and raped all the little tree monkeys. The natives use them in black magic rituals. Don't ask me how; probably suck the blood of virgins, eh, eh?
• Trivia: The scene where the lawnmower was used as a weapon needed five gallons of fake blood per second.
55- I Spit On Your Grave (1978): Also known as Day of the
• Trivia: Zarchi had to distribute the film himself and barely broke even under the name of Day of the Woman. In 1980 it was picked up for distribution by a company and the title was changed to I Spit on Your Grave.
56- Re-Animator (1985): Herbert West is a medical student
• Memorable Scene: The revived severed head of Dr. Hill is… attracted to a naked Megan who is strapped down on a lab table.
• Memorable Quote: Who’s going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow.
• Memorable Tagline: Herbert West Has A Very Good Head On His Shoulders... And Another One In A Dish On His Desk
57- Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992):
• Memorable Scene: Jonathan Harker is exploring Dracula’s castle and find himself in a bedroom being seduced by Dracula’s three wives. Very erotic yet still disturbing.
• Memorable Quote: She lives beyond the grace of God, a wanderer in the outer darkness. She is "vampyr", "nosferatu". These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but instead grow strong and become immortal once infected by another nosferatu. So, my friends we fight not one beast but legions that go on age after age after age, feeding on the blood of the living.
58- Event Horizon (1997): A group of astronauts are ordered to investigate a missing starship that has mysteriously returned out of nowhere. They soon discover that although there are no crew members aboard, there is something else. A really well told ghost story with space as a setting.
• Gore Shot: We all get to see the effects of vacuum space on an unprotected human body as one of the crew must endure the experience before being rescued.
• Creepy Quote: I have such wonderful, wonderful things to show you.
59- Cannibal Holocaust (1980): Two concerned explorers
• Memorable Quote: Man is omnipotent; nothing is impossible for him. What seemed like unthinkable undertakings yesterday are history today. The conquest of the moon for example: who talks about it anymore? Today we are already on the threshold of conquering our galaxy, and in a not too distant tomorrow, we'll be considering the conquest of the universe, and yet man seems to ignore the fact that on this very planet there are still people living in the Stone Age and practicing cannibalism.
60- Zombieland (2009): Zombies have seemingly taken over the
• Cool Scene: A woman takes out one of the undead by dropping a piano on its head.
• Funny Quote: Someone’s ear is in danger of having hair brushed over it.
• Trivia: The idea for this film was inspired by the zombie spoof “Shaun of the Dead”.