What is it about getting together with a group of friends and watching a good horror flick that sound so inviting, particularly in October? A huge part of it is the fact that you are surrounded by friends. Everyone can share their fear and its fun because you’re not embarrassed by screaming or jumping due to other people doing it to. You should enjoy being scared while you know it’s not real; there may come a time when you won’t be able to enjoy it. Welcome to part 7.
Ten More Films of Dread for You to Enjoy
61- Cemetery Man (1994): A caretaker of a small cemetery begins to have problems with the dead coming back to life. He eventually sees the duty of dispatching the zombies as just a part of his job. Also known as Dellamorte Dellamore in Italy.
• Memorable Quote: The Living Dead and the dying living are all the same. Cut from the same cloth. But disposing of dead people is a public service, whereas you're in all sorts of trouble if you kill someone while they're still alive.
62- Evil Dead II (1987): Ash, played by Bruce Campbell, goes
• Memorable Scene: An eyeball goes flying into the mouth of a screaming woman. (This wasn’t done graphically at all. I found it very funny, actually.)
• Memorable Quote: Groovy.
63- Maximum Overdrive (1986):
• Memorable Scene: The trucks are running out of fuel and threaten to run over our hero unless he begins to pump gas. The song Hell’s Bells by AC/DC kicks in.
• Trivia: The head on the main truck villain is based on the Green Goblin (one of Spiderman’s enemies).
64- Needful Things (1993): Leland Gaunt comes to the small
• Memorable Scene: There is a knockdown drag out fight between Nettie Cobb and Wilma Jerzyck involving knives and meat cleavers. Both end up dead.
• Memorable Quotes: The young carpenter from Nazareth? I know him well. Promising young man. He died badly.
65- 28 Days Later (2002): An activist group tries to rescue
• Memorable Scene: Our hero is walking around a deserted London with eerie music being played. Creepy stuff.
• Trivia: Police would close roads at 4 am for the scenes in London and filming would take place for 1 hour. They had attractive women ask drivers to take alternative routes and as a result didn’t have too much trouble with angry motorists.
66- Howling II: Your Sister Is a Werewolf (1985): Some hunters track down a group of werewolves living in Europe and plan on killing Stirba, Queen of the Werewolves. This film is so bad and campy that it’s good. In fact, it’s the only film of the Howling series that I have watched more than once. I can’t be the only one who likes it, can I?
• Trivia: Christopher Lee stated in an interview that the reason he accepted his part in Howling II is because he had never been in a werewolf movie.
67- Wrong Turn (2003): Six people try to
• Trivia: There wasn't a huge promotion push for this film because the MPAA deemed that most of the commercials were "too intense" for viewers. Those that did air had to be cut back heavily.
68- Inside (2007): An expecting
• Disturbing Scene: C-section with a pair of scissors… nuff said.
69- Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986): A very disturbing
• Shock Scene: The murderers are watching a video tape of the murders they recently committed. We don’t realize this at first which is what makes it creepy.
• Tagline: Yeah, I killed my Mama.
• Trivia: The killings that happened in the opening of the film were based on real life murders that Henry Lee Lucas claimed to have committed himself.
70- The House of the Devil (1986): A babysitter is lured to an
• Trivia: The film was shot in the same style as a lot of the horror films from the 70’s and 80’s.