A good scary movie is not the easiest thing for a person to find, one that they like anyways. That’s because everyone has their own individual demons that they are uncomfortable with which, of course, means what may be perfect for one will be too much for another. The answer of course is that there is no easy way to pick out horror films (beyond the most popular) without taking recommendations from friends and lists like these. Perhaps that is a good thing as it often connects us; you begin to realize that you’re not alone in your fears.
All of us have our individual curses, something that we are uncomfortable with and something that we have to deal with, like me making horror films, perhaps.
~Wes Craven (A horror movie quote to remember, for sure.)
Ten More Good Ones That Can Scare Your Pants Off
71- Resident Evil (2002): An elite private military force is sent
• Memorable Scene: Alice, played by Jovovich, has to fight some zombie-like dogs and at one point does this wonderfully creative kick.
• Memorable Quote: At the beginning of the 21st century, the Umbrella Corporation had become the largest commercial entity in the United States. Nine out of every ten homes contain its products. Its political and financial influence is felt everywhere. In public, it is the world's leading supplier of computer technology, medical products, and healthcare. Unknown, even to its own employees, its massive profits are generated by military technology, genetic experimentation and viral weaponry.
72- Ben (1972): A young boy befriends a rat who is the leader of a pack of telepathic rodents, who he names Ben. When some adults try to poison them, they take it personally. This film is the sequel to the 1971 film Willard and is perhaps best remembered for the song that Michael Jackson sang titled “Ben.”
• Memorable Scene: A parent walks into their son’s room to find his bed covered with several rats (with him still in the bed).
73- The Blob (1988): A meteor crashes and a
• Tagline: If it had a mind, you could reason with it. If it had a face, you could look it in the eye. And if it had a body, you could shoot it.
• Trivia: To produce the look of the crystallized Blob at the end of the film, rock salt was dyed purple.
74- From Dusk Till Dawn (1996): Two bank robbers and
• Memorable Scene: Satanico Pandemonium, played by Hayek, doing her snake dance with some excellent music.
• Memorable Dialogue: I’ll be a lap dog of Satan.
• Trivia: To get a more favorable MPAA rating the director used green blood for the vampires instead of red.
75- The Shining (1980): Jack Torrance, played by Jack
• Scary Scene: Danny, the son, was riding his hot wheels toy in the hallway and comes around a corner to see two little girls (spirits).
• Memorable Dialogue:
Jack Torrance: Mr. Grady. You were the caretaker here. I recognize ya. I saw your picture in the newspapers. You, uh, chopped your wife and daughters up into little bits. And then you blew your brains out.
Grady: That's strange, sir. I don't have any recollection of that at all.
• Trivia: Stephen King actually tried to talk Kubrick out of casting Nicholson as the lead because he already looked a little crazy. He thought that if you used a normal-looking man and then had him descend into madness it would improve the drama of the story. I believe this is what they tried on the TV remake, but it didn’t work too well.
76- C.H.U.D. (1984): Creatures living in the sewers of New York City decide to come out and begin killing people. I wasn’t too impressed with the title until I saw what was underneath it in parenthesis: (Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers). Once I saw that, I had to see this film.
• Memorable Tagline: A recent article in a New York newspaper reported that there were large colonies of people living under the city... The paper was incorrect. What is living under the city is not human. C.H.U.D. is under the city.
77- The Blair Witch Project (1999): Three film students
• Memorable Tagline: In October of 1994 three student filmmakers disappeared in the woods near Burkittsville, Maryland, while shooting a documentary...A year later their footage was found.
• Trivia: Nearly all the lines were improvised by the actors and they rarely knew what was going to happen next.
78- The Mist (2007): A strange mist envelops a small town and
• Memorable Scene: There is only one that surpasses all of the others… the ending.
• Interesting Quote: Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today’s word is ‘expiation’.
• Trivia: Dimension had to promise Frank Darabont (the director) that the ending in the script would not be changed, no matter what, to get him to sign on as director.
79- Dog Soldiers (2002): A group of soldiers training in the
• Funny Quote: I’m still not convinced these things didn’t just escape from the local nut-house and forgot to shave or trim their nails.
• Trivia: Simon Pegg was offered a part in the picture, but turned it down to be in Shaun of the Dead.
80- Silent Hill (2006): A mother and daughter
• Creepy Scene: There is a moment where Rose is holding up a lighter looking at something on a chain link fence while a strange childlike creature is creeping up behind her. Once the monster screams its friends start coming out of the woodwork and she is forced to run for her life.
• Disturbing Quote: Sinners deserve to lose their spawn.
• Trivia: It took director Christophe Gans five years to convince Konami to let him obtain the rights to the film.