Declare Your Car SORN if You Don’t Want to Tax It

Abandoned Scrap Car Keeping a scrap car that you no longer use can cost you more than £1,000 if you don’t tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about it. Even if your car is parked on your drive, you must either tax it or make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) to avoid incurring a penalty. The DVLA maintains a comprehensive database to identify vehicles that are kept off-road illegally and encourages the public to report untaxed cars.


 You may have good reasons for keeping your vehicle off-road. It can be a simple matter of cost; taxing a car requires motor insurance and an MoT certificate and both come at a price. Some models, including many convertibles, are unsuitable for year-round use and spend the winter months waiting for the sun to reappear. Avoid problems by making a SORN, a straightforward process that is free of charge. You can notify the DVLA by post, online or by phone.

 Scrap Cars - ELVs

 If your car has reached the end of its useful life, keeping it sitting in your garage or in front of your house doesn’t make sense. Classified as “waste”, end-of-life vehicles (ELVs) are motor vehicles that are no longer serviceable. In the UK, according to, around 2 million vehicles become waste every year. Scrapping your car not only removes an environmental hazard, it can earn you money. The value of a scrap car depends on its weight, and a scrap car dealer may pay for your ELV.

 Scrap Car Disposal

 Scrap Car CrusherYou must ensure that your scrap car goes to an authorised treatment facility (ATF) that has the appropriate environmental approvals. ELVs still contain fuel, oil and other flammable materials, making safe disposal essential. An ATF will have the necessary equipment for draining all fluids, removing any other hazardous materials and disposing of the remaining parts. ATF operators will segregate any precious metals such as platinum, used in catalytic converters.

 Notifying the DVLA

 Your responsibilities do not end once you have delivered your scrap car to an ATF. You must give the operator your vehicle registration document, Form V5C, and in return obtain a Certificate of Destruction. You should send section 3 of the V5C to the DVLA to notify them that the vehicle is no longer on the road, and keep the Certificate of Destruction you received from the ATF as proof of the fact. Don’t forget to keep the tax disc and reclaim any unexpired portion of the licence period.