There are two types of people in this world, those that crave the heat and those that thrive in the cold. I'm personally the latter and love cold weather like a dog loves a bone (yes I just said that). Given this, it was not unusual for me to take long shower in frigid water. Many greenhouse lovers shudder at the mere thought of taking anything less than a sweltering submersion but for those who are in my camp, cold water therapy offers a myriad of benefits:
- Improved circulation - As the cold water hits your skin, your previously warm body is shocked by the burst of cold water and everything begins to contract in order to conserve heat. This contraction is excellent for you circulation and well-being.
- Alleviates depression- Research at the Department of Radiation Oncology at Virginia Commonwealth University School found that cold showers help to stimulate the blue spot in your brain which aids in relieving depression.
- Promotes healthy skin and hair- Due to their contracting effect, cold showers close up pores and give your hair a beautiful sheen.
- Increases metabolism- In order to deal with the cold temperature, your body burns more fuel to keep you warm similar to the way a furnace works. Also, the body creates more Brown Fat tissue in order to help burn more energy. The combination of these two speeds up your metabolism and aids in body fat reduction.
- Reduces Swelling- Swelling is another name for inflammation, cold showers cause the opposite reaction.
- Improves Immunity- This is a bit counter intuitive because many people still believe that the cold makes you sick. It is in fact quite the opposite. A study was done in Prague taking athletic men and exposing them to cold water immersion three times a week for six weeks. By the end of the study, the men saw marked increases in two types of white blood cells: monocytes and lymphocytes. Those with a greater white blood cell count are less likely to catch colds, flu's, or even cancer.
- Acts as natural Detox- The contracting that the body undergoes when it is exposed to the cold helps flush toxins.
- Increases Testosterone-Enough said.
How to Get Started
- · Start with contrast showers and vary between hot and cold water if cold temperatures are an issue for you.
- · If you want to increase your fat burning try full on ice baths. Don't go over ten minutes however and if new, start with just cold water.
- · If you like the benefits of cold showers but love your hot baths try using ice bags on your neck or chest to reap some of the benefits above.
- · NEVER TRY ANY OF THIS IF YOU HAVE A HEART PROBLEM OR IF DISAPPROVED BY YOUR DOCTOR.
- · Please comment if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.