Homes can contain many hazardous toxins that can negatively affect an individual's health. Some are obvious and easily spotted however others such as mold are not so easy to detect and can be very deadly. If you cannot see this type of mold in your home, detection is also possible by recognizing black mold symptoms. The following article will discuss some of the signs that need to be watched for to know if you or your family has been exposed to mold.

What is black colored mold?
All molds are fungus and this particular strain, known scientifically as Stachybotrys, is highly toxic. The form that most often occurs in homes as a result of water damage or poor indoor air quality is known as S. Chartarum. It is important to note that not all molds that are black in color are necessarily Stachybotrys and the only definitive way to determine if a black colored mold is a toxic strain is to have it tested by a fungal expert.

Symptoms of Stachybotrys poisoning
Stachybotrys exposure can give those effected a wide range of symptoms. The severity of the poison is determined by home many spores of the fungus are inhaled or otherwise ingested. Common signs of exposure are unexplained fatigue and headache, fever, eye irritation, and mucous membranes on the nose, throat and/or mouth. Black mold exposure can also cause sneezing, rashes and chronic coughing. For extreme cases, vomiting, nausea and/or bleeding of the lungs can be observed.

Where does it grow?
Mold is a fungus and as such is made up of tiny spores that can form and grow almost anywhere that is cool and dark. Mold is commonly found in basements, underneath flooring, inside walls, and in areas where there has been water damage. Mold will not always be seen because it needs little light to grow and will usually be growing in places where you cannot see. Fungus also needs moisture to grow making basements or crawl spaces an ideal place for it to form. Mold abatement professionals will know where to inspect for mold as well as have field testers to determine if the type of mold you have in your home is of a toxic strain.

Some signs that the average person can look for that could indicate mold growth are chronic moisture in areas of the home that will not go away, yellowish, greenish or blackish stains on walls that have been wet or experienced water damage, and any strange or new odor that is musty. These signs do not necessarily mean that there is mold growth or growth of a strain that is deadly however, these conditions are the first signs of mold formation.

Black mold poisoning is a serious medical condition and should be treated promptly. Stachybotrys in your home should be abated as soon as possible by trained professionals. Cases where Stachybotrys has taken over a large portion of a home have resulted in the demolition of the entire house because abatement was no longer practical or cost effective. Symptoms of mold exposure can cause lifelong health issues as well as death if left untreated.