Losing weight is one of the most popular New Year's eve resolutions. Millions of people are striving to lose at least 5-10 pounds, because they wish to fit an image they have about themselves, or simply to wear again those nice clothes they've bought last year and now are too tight. This is how it goes: our freind Jenny tells us how she lost five punds in three days in order to fit a cocktail dress she was going to wear at her sister's wedding. We hear that and we think it would work great for us, so we start dieting. After one week or so, we see some results, we thank Jenny very much and start eating like crazy again. What do you think it's going to happen? Exactly, you'd put your 5 pounds back and two-hree additional ones, just for the fun of becoming even fatter. This is the moment when you get desperate and start asking other people how they manage to keep their weight under control. You follow then advice no 1, advice no 3, and so on, until you find yourself in the situation of being discriminated at your job and in your social life because you're fat. This is the reality: unfortunately, fat people are perceived as underachevers and lazy, no matter how fast or how well they accomplish their duties. Nobody cares of your speed if you look like Miss Piggy from the Muppets Show.
This weight loss race is almost like any other sport: many people are training and competing, but only few ever win the big prizes. We are going to take a deeper look into details, for determining what makes some overweight people more successful than others in shedding their extra pounds. These are a few tips which will help you stay on the right path, in case you too wish to get rid of some weight.
- Reduce body fat rather than just losing pounds. One pound can have two meanings: you can have one pound of muscular mass, which has a small volume and which you won't notice if you lose. Then you can have one pound of body fat, which is a very light tissue, therefore occupying a much bigger volume than the muscles. What you hate at yourself are the fat deposits under your skin and not your muscles. So, if you only restrict your diet, give up proteins and count your calories, your body will start to eat your muscular mass reserves. This is why you need to exercise, to learn how to reduce body fat, for obtaining a better shape of yourself and a better health.
- Drink a lot of water. Water is good. The human body is 80% water. We have to make sure that we avoid dehydration, so drinking plenty of water is essential for health. If you don't drink enough, your body will send signals to your brain that it's a water crisis, so the brain will give instructions to your cells to accumulate water. This is what we can call water retention and it causes swollen limbs and other disadvantages. Drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day will allow the body to flush the toxins better and will accelerate the metabolism, so you'll see that even losing weight will become easier.
- Give up alcohol and sodas. Alcohol contains too many calories to be good, even if you choose to consume strong alcoholic drinks and not only beer and wine. With the beer it's even worse, as it is very nutritive, so don't wonder why you're fat if you have the habit to drink one or two beers a day. Soda is also a drink that we could surely live without, and which causes so many people weight issues. If you try to give up these unhealthy habits for one week, you'll see that you can live without them and don't miss them at all.
- Move your body. Exercise is a must if you want a body that's functional even at elder ages. Besides, effort helps burning fats, so try to do it on daily basis. If you can't afford to go to the gym, you can compensate this by taking long walks at alert pace. This is free and you can do it in any park nearby your home. If you can save some money and buy a pedometer, you'll be able to track your progress by counting the steps you make each day, then put them on a chart.
- Eat many small meals rather than three big ones. Eating habits are closely related to weight troubles. If you're used to eat large quantities of food at one meal, your digestion will be slower and your stomach will be more and more used to receive these huge supplies, therefore when you'll try to eat less, you'll feel hungry. If you eat 5-6 small meals a day you'll be much better and you'll see that the extra pounds will start disappear as by charm.