Slow cooked meat is on average more healthy, cheaper and easier to prepare. A slow cooker is a pan which boils or fries your meal, just as any other pan would do. The only thing, the slow cooker does this slow. You need to wait for a couple of hours to prepare a meal and this makes sure all of the flavors are distributed well and your food is prevented from burning.
Another thing is that your slow cooker can make the most cheapest pieces of meat delicious, like chicken or cheap beefs. Another example are pork chops! These meats can be in the shelves of the local grocery store really cheap. Cooking them up like you would normally makes it only more horrible. Luckily there is the slow cooker.
If you have tried the slow cooker recipes for pork chops and jalapeno's, you might want to try something more easy now, check out the pork chops and potatoes in mustard sauce!
Slow Cooker Recipes for Pork Chops and Potatoes in Mustard Sauce
Makes around 6 servings
Ingredients for slow cooked pork chops and potatoes
- 6 4-ounce pork loin chops. The fat should be trimmed off!
- 1 10.75 ounce can Campbell's 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/4 cup of low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 medium potatoes - thinly sliced
- 1 onion - sliced
Everything gathered? Let's get cooking!
How to prepare slow cooked pork chops and potatoes
- Brown the pork chops in 2 tablespoons of oil. Drain the fat afterwards.
- Mix the soup, chicken broth, mustard, thyme, garlic and pepper. This all happens directly in the slow cooker!
- Add potatoes and onion, stirring to coat.
- Place the browned pork chops on top of the potato mixture.
- Cover it and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH 4-5 hours.
This means you even have a choice, you can cook it fast or really slow. This gives you the ultimate window to do something!
Wondering what all of this food contains?
Slow cooked pork chops and potatoes contain:
- 240 calories (kcal)
- 6 gram of total fat
- 18 gram of protein
- 28 gram of carbohydrates
- 38 mg of cholesterol
- 565 mg of sodium
This nice recipe for pork chops is one of the many slow cooker recipes for pork chops! If you have a crock-pot, it would be nice to try out other combinations as well, for instance slow cooked corned beef!
Personally, I think the slow cooker meals are typical student meals. They are easy to prepare, the meat used is cheap and there is a big time advantage! You can set up your slow cooker for 5 hours and go to a lecture or go studying in the library. Coming home your meal will be ready for you to eat! I actually have friends who are doing this! Something else are slow cooker wings, which would be great to serve on parties! The possibilities with a slow cooker are endless.