Diabetes is a disease that affects 23.6 million people in the United States. Currently, it is suspected that 6 million more have the disease but are unaware of it. Diabetes is a disease of the endocrine system and is a chronic disorder of blood sugar from carbohydrates, fat and protein metabolism. It is caused by an insufficient or defective manufacture of insulin by the pancreas. The function of insulin is to transport glucose to cells in the body to be used as energy or stored as glycogen. When there is a reduction of insulin the body's cell are deprived of fuel and this is called hyperglycemia. Some symptoms of diabetes are excessive thirst, excessive eating, excretion of abnormally large amounts of urine, weight loss, and fatigue.
There are primarily three types of diabetes. Type 1 or juvenile diabetes, usually occurs before age 30 and is difficult to control. Type 2, is the more common form, and occurs in adults over the age of 30. Medication is usually prescribed for this type of diabetes. Type 3 or gestational diabetes has its onset during a pregnancy. The condition usually disappears after the birth of the baby.
Unfortunately, since diabetes is chronic, one has to take medication for life. Here are some home remedies for diabetes that you can try and see if is helps bring it under control.
- Fenugreek water helps to control the fluctuation of blood sugar levels. To make fenugreek water take a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and soak in a glass of water overnight. Drink the water the next morning and consume the seeds.
- Another good home remedy is Indian gooseberry or amla. Indian gooseberry is rich in vitamin C. Take 1 tablespoon of gooseberry juice and mix it with bitter gourd juice. Drink this mixture continuously for 2 months.
- Grapefruit is another beneficial home remedy for diabetes. Eat or drink the juice of a grapefruit regularly as part of your diet.
- Apple cider vinegar is not only beneficial for diabetes but is helps clear up infections. Try drinking 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar everyday.
- Another home remedy that aids in the control of diabetes is cinnamon water. Add 3 tablespoons of cinnamon powder to a liter of water and boil it for a few minutes. Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Strain the mixture and drink this water daily.
- In 1 glass of water (about 8 oz) add 15 mango leaves and boil. Leave this water overnight, strain the next morning and drink.
Try some of these home remedies and see if they help control your blood glucose levels. Also, if you do decide to use any of the natural remedies above be sure to tell your physician. Some of these home remedies may not be beneficial if you have a certain health concern.