The Sopranos is the popular crime-drama television show centered around volatile mafia crime boss Tony Soprano. Tony Soprano (James Gandolfini) plays a middle-aged crime boss in New Jersey, who battles panic attacks, stress, anger, depression and seeks a psychiatrist Dr. Melfi (Lorraine Bracco). Tony Soprano experiences stress, and pressure from both of his families. Tony's crime family, and his actual family provide Tony with difficult situations, problems, and results that often lead to blood shed.
Sopranos has been critically acclaimed for its dynamic characters, along with top-notch writing from creator David Chase and staff. David Chase was praised for his symbolism and ambiguous writing style. Years after the show has been off air, fans still debate over numerous occurrences from the hit drama. It's known as one of the greatest television shows of all-time, by both fans and critics of the show. Sopranos has become its own icon in American culture. It broke the mold for cable television shows, becoming the most profitable show ever on cable. HBO picked up the rights of Sopranos in 1999, after the pilot was turned down by FOX. The season ran a course of 6 seasons, along with a extended version of season 6 for the series final conclusion.
The Sopranos finale episode was one of the most heavily talked about endings in television history. The series finale brought heavy controversy from hard-core fans and critics of the show. It was heavily criticized, and widely debated among fans with the cliffhanger the show went out on. Sopranos ran its highs and lows over the course of six and a half seasons. The once most popular television show by critics and fans, hit a rough patch in season 6. Ratings declined and criticism of the direction of show grew. Sopranos still maintain a popular following and won best emmy for a drama series in its final season.
Sopranos was nominated for numerous of emmy's and golden globe awards in writing, directing, best drama series, and acting rewards whenever it was eligible for nomination. The show finally won an emmy for best drama series in 2004, after getting beat out previous years. Sopranos has won a total of 21 emmy's, including awards of best writing, best directing, best leading actor, best leading actress, best supporting actor, best supporting actress, best drama series. The show was created by David Chase.
A Soprano's episode guide can be found on HBO's website. David Chase carefully selected Soprano song choices throughout the course of the show. His inspiration to incorporate music into specific scenes, came from long-time admirer of legendary director Martin Scorsese. Legendary rock and roll artists, and bands like Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, and Van Morrison were frequently used throughout the course of the series. The show would also use hip-hop, soul, opera, mainstream pop songs, country and indie music.
|James Gandolfini|| Tony Soprano
| Edie Falco
|| Carmela Soprano
|Lorraine Bracco|| Dr. Jennifer Melfi
|Michael Imperioli|| Christopher Moltisanti
|Dominic Chianese||Corrado "Junior" Soprano|
| Tony Sirico
|| Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri
|Steve Van Zandt||Sivlio Dante|
| Aida Turturro
| Robert Iler
||Anthony "A.J." Soprano|
| Jamie-Lynn Sigler
|| Meadow Soprano
|Drea de Matteo|| Adriana La Cerva
|Nancy Marchand||Livia Soprano|
| Steve Schirripa
|| Bobby "Bacala" Baccalieri
| Vincent Pastore
||Salvatore "Pussy" Bonpensiero|
| Joe Pantoliano
|| Ralph Cifaretto
| Steve Buscemi
|| Tony Blundetto
|Vincent Curatola||Johnny "Sack" Sacramoni|
|Frank Vincent|| Phil Leotardo
|Fedrico Castelluccio||Furio Guinta|
| John Ventimiglia
|Kathrine Narducci||Charmaine Bucco|
| Jerry Alder
| Joseph R. Cannoscoli
| Dan Grimaldi
|| Patsy Parisi
|Sharon Angela||Rosalie Aprile|
|David Proval||Richie Aprile|
Sopranos dvd's can be found at amazon, hbo.com, or numerous other sites online for purchase. All 6 seasons are available.
Special Features on DVD
* Special features of season one include a 77 minute interview with creator David Chase and director/actor Peter Bogdanovich.
* Two behind the scenes features.
* Tony Soprano feature.
* Four audio commentaries by cast & crew.
* 2 featurettes - one including "A sit down with Tony Soprano.
* Three audio commentaries including Michael Imperoli, David Chase, and Steve Buscemi.
* Sopranos featurette
* Four audio commentaries from actors, writes, and creator David Chase.
* Recaps of previous seasons.
* Five audio interviews from directors Peter Bogdanovich, Steve Buscemi, Mike Figgis, and Rodrigo Garcia, and actress Drea de Matteo.
Season 6 part 1
* Four audio interviews from cast & crew.
Season 6 part 2
* Behind the scenes of the making of 'Cleaver' the movie from Christopher's horror film.
* Discussion about the music from the tv show.
* Four audio interviews from cast & crew.
Complete HBO season box set
* Contains all bonus features from previous seasons.
Complete series deluxe edition
* Deleted scenes from previous seasons.
* Scenes never shown from each season.
* Previous features from other box-set releases.
* Sit down dinners discussing the series finale with cast & crew.
* Spoofs and parodies from The Simpsons and Saturday Night Live.