Chicken and Spinach
A satisfying combination any time
Spinach was definitely today’s craving, so here it is for supper! Since I’ve been experimenting with other veggies this summer, it occurred to me that I hadn’t made a spinach dish in a while.
I tend to add chopped spinach into most dishes I fix anymore, but I was missing the full taste of fresh spinach. That’s how this recipe came about. It is a good mix of some of my favorites: spinach, chicken, onion, and beans. I love all of them, but combined they are wonderfully satisfying.
Have you noticed how your body tells you when it is craving something specific? Mine was telling me I needed some protein in the form of chicken added to the spinach tonight.
Using what was in the fridge made it quick and easy. It was also very tasty. As with most recipes like this one, you can use more or less than I used for this batch. Next time I will add even more spinach. It always surprises me how much it cooks down. You think you are including way too much, then end up with a cup or two once cooked! The beans were a good addition too, for both taste and texture. Use your favorite kind.
Vegetarian? Just leave out the chicken and add more beans and spinach.
However you prefer it, it makes a fast, hot lunch or dinner that tastes delicious even on a hot day. Spinach tastes good no matter how you fix it. It's also a great evening meal, with ingredients that promote a good night's sleep.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time 20 minutes
- Serves 2
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove finely chopped garlic
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thigh, cut in small pieces
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup cooked beans (pinto beans used in photo)
- 4 to 6 cups spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and prepare all ingredients.
- Heat oil and chopped garlic in a large skillet.
- Add chicken, sauté for 5 to 10 minutes until outside no longer pink.
- Add chopped onion, saute 5 more minutes.
- Add beans, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add Spinach and sauté until wilted.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- You are ready to serve.
This Works Great for Sauteing
Amazon Price: $100.00 $35.23 Buy Now
(price as of Oct 7, 2015)