Crisp and Flavorful
Your personal pita pizza
Always on the lookout for a recipe using spinach, when I saw a picture of pita with spinach, I had to try it for myself. I wasn’t disappointed. This tastes wonderful! The crunchiness of the pita with the yummy flavor of spinach, red pepper, onion, and cheese. Some of my favorite things!
It’s another super easy, flexible recipe too. You can put as many and as much of the ingredients on the pitas as you like. In fact, I’m sure kids would enjoy building their own, single serve pita. Think of the ingredients you might like on any pizza and add it to the spinach. You have the pleasure of making it to your taste.
For this one I started with a little grated gouda cheese, which helps the veggies stay on the pita. Then after adding the peppers and onions, I topped it off with a little more grated cheese and a slice of provolone. You can use a cheese slice on the bottom and one on the top easily, or use all grated cheese. Try the Italian blend cheese, low fat, Havarti, or even mozzarella. Mix them up or use all of them. You might want to add some sliced or chopped mushrooms too. Garnish it with sliced olives. The kalamata olives gave it a sharp, scrumptious taste, but black olives would be great too.
Little individual pizzas would make for easy party fare, wouldn't they? Set it up buffet style, let everyone build their own, the bake them up. Easy to prepare, easy to clean up, and fun to build.
You can serve with a salad, though you already have the ingredients right on the pita. Instead, I would suggest fresh cut fruit. It's a light, refreshing dinner idea that is sure to please.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 35 to 40 minutes
- 4 pita pockets
- 6 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced or cut into thin slices
- 4 to 8 ounces cheese (a blend of more that one is nice)
- 8 to 10 kalamata olives, sliced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil.
- Set pita pockets on foil.
- Sprinkle lightly with cheese.
- Divide spinach onto the four pitas.
- Top with onion and red pepper as desired.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Garnish with a few slices of kalamata olives.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cheese starts to brown.
Amazon Price: $29.99 $29.90 Buy Now
(price as of Aug 22, 2016)