Vegetarian Tacos for a Tasty Meatless Meal
Enjoy Mexican food any day of the year with this healthy vegetarian taco. I’m always on the look out for vegetarian dishes that are filling and familiar, so I was very pleased when I tried these bean and spinach tacos. They came out great!
I'm not a vegetarian, but I am trying to fix more meatless meals. Chicken or beef tacos had been the usual favorites, but using beans instead of meat or poultry tasted even better to me. You can use whatever amounts you choose, as long as it will fit. Spinach is a tasty and very nutritious substitute for the usual lettuce too. The fresh cilantro gives it a wonderful flavor.
Add cheese to your tacos too, if you like. The reduced fat shredded Mexican blend is perfect, though any cheese will work. Feta is excellent with spinach. Monterey Jack or any cheddar is always a tasty choice that everyone seems to enjoy.
My favorite part is the lime squeezed onto the whole thing. I love the citrusy aroma and the tangy flavor it gives these tacos. I will either serve two tacos per plate, with a Mexican cabbage salad on the side, or one taco with one of my favorite veggie burritos. Both are very satisfying. Love all the veggies you can include. It’s lovely to have a healthy option that is meatless and satisfying!
What a great way to enjoy a Mexican lunch or dinner. Whether you are celebrating Cinco de Mayo with an icy margarita, or enjoying a casual meal while you watch a show on TV, this will be a hit with the whole family and your guests.
Hope you enjoy it too.
- Serves: 2 to 4
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 to 2 cups white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of spinach, washed and dried, and chopped
- 1/2 Tbs olive oil or cooking spray
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped finely (or use green onion)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (optional)
- 2 limes, quartered
- 4 corn or flour tortillas
- Assemble the ingredients.
- Chop the garlic, onion, spinach, and cilantro.
- Heat oil in skillet, then sauté garlic and onion for 3 minutes. (Save some onion for topping)
- Add beans and cilantro to the skillet and cook another 3 minutes or so.
- Warm tortillas, then place in warmer or keep covered to retain warmth.
- Spoon beans onto tortilla.
- Top with spinach, onion, and salsa.
- Sprinkle with crumbled feta or grated cheese if you wish.
- Squeeze lime on all of it, and you are ready to serve.
- Serve with Mexican Cabbage Salad.
Don't Forget a Tortilla Warmer
Amazon Price: $26.95 Buy Now
(price as of Jun 8, 2016)