I love spinach. Looking through my recipes though, it seemed many of them contained cheese. I also love cheese, but wanted some vegetarian dishes that were made without a cheese sauce too. It would be healthier that way. So I started experimenting with my favorite ingredients. I was very pleased with how this one turned out.
It is so fast and easy, especially if you use bagged spinach. It is also satisfying and very tasty and so versatile too. You can add more or less spinach, as you prefer. The same with the onions and mushrooms. I used high fiber thin spaghetti noodles, but your favorite pasta will work.
Stirring the al dente pasta into the skillet gives it a much richer flavor than scooping the veggies on top. I like to brown the noodles a bit in the skillet, hence the importance of the al dente cooking of the pasta. Even if you normally don’t like pasta served in oil, I bet you will like this one. It absorbs a nice flavor from the vegetables in oil and garlic.
Whether you serve it in a big pasta bowl or individual servings, it looks colorful and pretty on the plate. Since it has a good portion of vegetables in it, I like to serve it with garlic bread or a dinner roll. It's very filling and very satisfying.
Most of us know how beneficial spinach is in our diets. It is so high in nutrients. But mushrooms too offer unique health benefits. Not only are they high in several B vitamins, but also in copper, selenium, pantothenic acid, potassium, zinc, and more. Nutrients provide support to our immune system and serve as another anti-inflammatory that may aid arthritis suffering. It is important to refrigerate mushrooms right away to retain the nutritional value.
The recipe as it is will serve 4. It takes only 10 minutes to prep and another 20 for cooking.
- 16 oz thin spagetti
- 1 - 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 onion sliced thinly
- 4 - 5 mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, thoroughly washed and drained (or 1 bag, rinsed and drained)
- 2 - 3 Tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grated fresh parmesan
- Cook pasta, al dente, according to package directions, then drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet, then sauté chopped garlic.
- After 2 or 3 minutes, add onion and mushrooms and sauté another 4 minutes.
- Add fresh spinach. Sauté until cooked through.
- Add another 1 tablespoon olive oil, stirring well.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add pasta and mix thoroughly.
- The last 1 tablespoon of olive oil can be added at this point if you like.
- Cover and cook a few minutes, stirring and flipping often, until pasta is hot and well coated.
- Serve with a sprinkling of fresh grated parmesan (optional).
A Cookbook with lots more options
All vegetarian, with pasta, beans, and more
Amazon Price: $26.00 $11.89 Buy Now
(price as of Apr 24, 2016)