Your Master Bedroom
It is spring cleaning time again and you can’t wait to get your house in order. Tackling one room at a time will be much easier than trying to take it all on at once. Often, we have one place where we stick the majority of our paperwork and things we need to go through. For some of us, that is our bedrooms. We are told to keep our bedrooms as if it were a sanctuary for us to sleep. If you are like me though, you use it as the place where you put all your most important things: paperwork, bills, memorabilia, and the things that you need to work on. This leads to a mess that can really overwhelm you. Here are a few simple tips to help straighten up your room and make it your sanctuary.
- Invest in a filing cabinet and a shredder. Sort through all of your paperwork and decide what can be shredded and what needs to be placed in the filing cabinet. For people like me, this will eliminate half of the clutter in the bedroom.
- Invest in some small clear totes and labels and store your supplies in: pens, pencils, batteries, candles and other small items.
- Invest in some Ziploc space bags and store your seasonal clothes and extra blankets. This is great too if you live in an area prone to natural disasters. Your blankets will stay dry and will be compact enough to take with you.
- Sort through all of your old clothes and get rid of the things that you no longer use.
- Donate your old books to a local charity so that they are no longer taking up space in your room.
- Instead of using the tops of your dressers as a place to put more paperwork, place a candle there instead. It makes your room appear more relaxing and it creates less of a chance that you will start stacking papers on top of it again.
- Instead of keeping pictures on your dressers, hang them on the wall.
- Invest in some larger totes and separate the things that you need to get to. For instance, scrap books, memorabilia, etc.
- Invest in a mail sorter. This way when you bring in the mail, you can automatically put the in the correct file so that you can take care of it. Bills don’t get lost and when you are done, you can send them to the shredder and eliminate the unnecessary paperwork scattered around the house.
Now that you have cleared the clutter, you can create the ambiance that you want to fall asleep to every night. You now have one more room accomplished and deserve a good night’s rest!