My dad had chemotherapy about a year ago and that went really well for him. What did not go well was all the advice he got from a variety of people telling him what to eat and drink. At the end of the day if you have to listen to what people say regarding nutrition you will be tearing your hair out.
For example, one person will say concentrate on your eating plan and when you get home from work then have a beer. A couple of hours later another guy says you can drink anything except beer. Sometimes you just have to take it with a pinch of salt. Often it happens that if you read too deeply into it and get too involved you will start coming out with something you were not looking for in the first place.
I was in a bookshop once, which was relatively small and noticed half of the shelf was dedicated to Patrick Holford. This guy has been doing good things in the world of nutrition and his knowledge of cancer preventing foods is great, but he is not the only person out there. Often people just jump onto the band wagon. After reading one of his books I discovered that it was just common knowledge. Things like why organic vegetables are so much better for you and the reason why frying oil is so dangerous. There was a lot of basic information coming from Patrick Holford, but I didn't get any menu plans.
The next day, I heard a doctor friend of my mom's tearing this guy to shreds - who knows!
So what are the foods that kill cancer?
First of all you have to get into the right state of mind. Once you change your lifestyle you can't go back to frying fish and chips because this is going to get you back to square one. Another thing to take into consideration if once you have developed cancer, go and ask your oncologist about your diet. Friends will always tell you what you must do, based on someone else they know - you can't listen to everyone. Someone will tell you not to eat sugar and another person will tell you don't eat any red meat.
- Some people decide to go the alternative route and turn to vegetable juice, which is one of the best anti cancer foods. Others starve themselves from sugar. Of course, there is good in this, but it is not necessary to go to the extreme. It is more important that you are still maintaining a good quality of life.
- There is no doubt that your green vegetables are going to have a large impact on your diet. This especially relates to the dark green vegetables like spinach and broccoli. It should also be mentioned that getting ample Vitamin C and carotene is important and this you will find in things like carrots and squash.
- Stick to your white meats and fish in particular. Things like salmon and sardines are great for their omega 3 properties. If you are craving red meat then go for it, but have this in moderation. If you are going to have red meat then go for the lean variety and stay away from anything fatty like lamb. Chicken and pork are both good.
- Use olive oil instead of vegetable oil. You can understand why the Italians do so well health wise. There are some great salads you can make with olive oil mixed with pesto or balsamic.
- Reduce the amount of dairy products you are having in your diet. Everything in moderation so that means that you don't have to stop eating cheese and full cream milk completely, but just cut down if you are overdoing it in this department.
- Flax seed is fantastic stuff. There have been medications for people with cancer that have been formulated out of this type of seed. You can buy it in the form of an oil. If you can't take it then sprinkle a little in some of your cooking.
These are some of the tasty foods that help prevent cancer.
I know many people who have been through ordeals with different types of cancers - I'm sure you do too. One thing is for sure, they all believe in vegetable juice. The one very important thing to focus on is yourself and if you don't want to help yourself then there is no way to improve.
There are recipes and ingredients which are not that appealing, but it is really a choice at the end of the day. Carry on eating burgers and fries with a couple of alcoholic drinks on the side and you will land back where you are started. Those who change their lifestyle completely usually come out tops. This is a recipe I learned from my mom. I actually love it and I believe it does you the world of good. In here are all foods that prevent cancer.
- 2 beetroots
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger
- 1/2 pineapple
- 5 carrots
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tsp flax seeds
- Chop everything up. You will find that if you invest in a good juice extractor this will go like a dream. You won't even have to cut the veggies up, you can just shove carrots straight in and the juicer will do the rest.
Have this drink once a day. It goes really easy in the right type of juicer. There are other recipes where you can add ingredients, such as spinach or apple. This is definitely something to try out. Eating with cancer is not not easy, but if you have a nice kind of juice like this every day, it will go down well.
Skin cancer is a big killer, so make sure you are prepared the next time you go out into the sun. Look out for the signs of skin cancer as well and don't pass it off as nothing. It doesn't take a minute to spread on a little cream over your body and stick a hat on to keep the harmful rays away from you. Sticking to a healthy diet ahead of time is one thing that is going to help save you.
Amazon Price: $99.99 $89.99 Buy Now
(price as of Jun 10, 2015)