If you’re starting a small business and you're concerned about overhead costs, why not reduce overhead with self-storage units? Overhead typically reduces a business's profits. Lower overhead expenses equal more profits. Self-storage units have become a popular way to reduce overhead expenses while running a small business.
Ways to Reduce Overhead With Self-Storage Units
Small business owners who sell things online or from home, often take advantage of storage units to store their supplies and inventory. For example, if you’re considering making money with self-storage auctions, you’ll need to remove the items within 48 hours of after winning a bid. Unless you already have a place to store the contents, you’ll likely run into storage problems. Leasing one or multiple self-storage units allows you to remove the contents in a timely manner and gives you time to market the items.
Likewise, if you’re considering a crafting business and don’t want to clutter your home, you could order supplies from wholesalers and store them in a self-storage unit. Take supplies home as needed. Build your inventory and store it in the storage unit. When you receive a request for an order, simply drive to the self-storage location and get the items you need. Renting a storage unit from a location near your home will contribute to low overhead, as you’ll save time and money on gas.
Types of Self-Storage Units
- Self-storage units are available in numerous sizes. Sizes generally range from a small cubby hole where you can store valuables, more like a safe, to garage size.
- Some storage units even have a front office, ideal for online businesses. Business owners can receive shipments, process orders and ship their orders right from the self-storage unit location.
- Some self-storage units are climate controlled while others are not. The type of unit you rent depends on your type of business. For example, if you store wooden furniture, you’ll likely want to store it in a climate-controlled unit to keep it from warping.
- You can drive up to some self-storage units. This type of unit generally has a door that rolls up, similar to a garage door. This type of unit is ideal if you need to load and unload large items. Other storage units are located inside the storage facility. You have to carry your items to transport them inside the facility or use a dolly to roll them in.
- Some small business owners prefer to rent boat-storage units. This type of units are generally more cost effective. The unit is typically not climate controlled. You can often rent one for about $100 per month. The unit is long and wide enough to store a boat, about the width of a one-car garage but slightly longer. Small businesses, such as lawn and cleaning services, often use this type of self-storage unit to store their equipment.
Advantages to Small Business Owners
Homeowners' associations in some communities often keep small business owners from working out of their garage, which is how many small businesses start. Self-storage units allow entrepreneurs to become small business owners while reducing overhead. Paying rent on a self-storage unit is more cost effective when compared to leasing a traditional business location. Hence, you maximize your profits. Another advantage is that as a business owner, you can set your own work hours. In contrast, traditional stores and shops are generally expected to keep their doors open during the traditional 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. business hours.
In conclusion, numerous small business owners take advantage of self-storage units to reduce overhead. If you would like to start a small business but are concerned about the expenses involved, why not consider renting a self-storage unit?
Copyright © 2011 Ana Jackson. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part constitutes plagiarism, is illegal and strictly prohibited.
Readers who read this article also enjoyed: