Relaxation, Better Health and Well Being can be Achieved by using the Steam Room
No one really knows when the steam room was created or where it was used for the first time; it is believed that the first steam room or “steam bath” dates back to centuries ago; but, even if we do not have concise details of its origins; we all know the many health benefits that it generates, even the ancient Greeks and Romans were aware of its relaxation and health powers.
Nowadays, steam rooms and saunas are common facilities in gyms; although you will find many sophisticated spas trying to recreate the ancient roman bath. These enclosed areas have very high humidity levels thanks to the high temperature steam; like the sauna, it offers many health benefits to the human being, but unlike the sauna the main use of the steam room is relaxation; many of the positive effects on both, body and mind can be summarised as below:
Credit: Daniel M Ramirez
1) Good for muscle soreness: the use of the steam room is perfect after a long and intensive workout at the gym; it is an alternative to a massage as it helps with muscle soreness; this is due to the moist air that the steam produces; it is considered the ultimate muscle relaxant.
2) Relieves asthma: the hot air improves breathing and airflow in the lungs; it has been proven that patients with obstructive lung disease have noticed an improvement in their pulmonary function. Steam room is used as a therapy to treat chronic bronchitis and bronchial asthma.
3) Better circulation: sweating will cause the blood vessels to dilate, improving our blood circulation process and improving heart rates; as well as decreasing blood pressure.
4) Return the luminosity to your face: The combination of moisture and heat dilates the pores of the skin, promoting perspiration and producing deep cleansing that removes toxins, dirt, chemicals and dead cells.
5) Good for acne sufferers: It is a perfect and natural remedy for teenagers and adults with acne; the steam room softens the dry skin and allows a better shave and a smooth skin.
6) Relaxation: It has a very effective relaxing effect; causing a big impact in our psychological well being as it reduces stress and depression.
7) Prevents colds
8) The steam room is not as good as the sauna when it comes to weight loss; almost every gram you lose during a session is in the form of sweet.
- Precautions and Correct Use
The correct use of the steam room will help you to enjoy the benefits that it offers without any consequence; however, it is important to consider the possible risks:
- You need to take a quick shower before using the steam bath; sit relaxed or stretched for 5 to 10 minutes; you can then have a cold shower and go back to the steam room for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Steam rooms are not advised to those with heart disorders; varicose veins problems; if you suspect that you are pregnant or have diabetes. Always consult with your doctor if you have any health related issue; he or she will be the best person to advice in each particular circumstance.
- Before and after the steam room you need to drink plenty of fluids to offset dehydration.
- Do not enter the sauna after a full meal; this will interfere with your digestive process and make you feel nauseous.
- Try to limit the weekly sessions to three visits; each one no longer than 20 minutes.
Credit: Daniel M Ramirez
Other articles that will help you to improve your health: