So you've created some great content, whether it be an article, a video, or a sound clip; now what?
You can sit back and wait for natural traffic to flow to the page from infobarrel.com or you can be proactive and give your page a little extra push.
Stumbleupon.com is going to be the topic of this article.
What is Stumbleupon exactly? It is a social bookmarking site where users can review and post links to their favorite content around the web. Most people install the Stumbleupon toolbar and can either use it to rate sites or have the toolbar itself take you to random pages voted popular by your stumble friends.
Stumbleupon.com also gives you the option to build a network of friends. The more friends and fans you have of your content the more thumbs up people will give your links (provided they are good), and the more visitors you can expect to get when you stumble something you create.
When I stumble a page, I've noticed it gets anywhere from 50-500 visitors to my page and this is without other people voting it up. If fifty or so people give your content a thumbs up, you could find your link on the front page of Stumbleupon.com which can result in as many as 50,000 visitors to your page; that's a lot of traffic!
One warning before you go and start stumbling sites. If you are going to stumble different pages on one site rather frequently, make sure you stumble at least 1-2 other sites between each stumble of the same site as your entries will eventually stop showing up in your profile if you are always just pushing one site!
With all of this said, you are probably eager to start stumbling!
- Go to stumbleupon.com and click the button that says 'Join StumbleUpon >'
- You will then be prompted for an email address, username, birthday, sex and to enter a captcha.
- Click 'Join and Download Now' and leave the two check boxes checked
- An Email confirmation will be sent to the email you provided and will give you step by step instructions on how to proceed. Follow these instructions!
- Once you've got the toolbar setup, you are ready to start stumbling stuff. Find a webpage you like (it could be yours) and click the thumbs up on the Stumbleupon toolbar. A review window will popup if the page has never been reviewed before. You will need to fill out all of the items in the review popup, then click submit.
Congrats, you've just completed your first stumble! If you go to your user page http://username.stumbleupon.com (replace username with your Stumbleupon username), you will see your entry!
To really get going on Stumbleupon, try to add a few new friends every day. Be careful not to over do it because they will only allow you to add so many a day, but the more friends you have, the more traffic you will get! You can't add friends via the toolbar, so you will have to go to http://username.stumbleupon.com (username is your username) and look for friends via your web browser!