Top fitness trainers, nutritionists, and family physicians generally agree that people should aim to eat smaller portions at regular intervals throughout the day. In addition these health professionals typically recommend eating every three to four hours, and the daily breakdown looks like breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, and dinner. Studies have found that eating at regular intervals helps keep the metabolism revved up and helps to prevent overeating, as eating at regular intervals helps stave off hunger. Overeating tends to occur when people let themselves get too hungry and eat too much, too quickly when trying to satisfy their hunger.
In order to ensure success in eating more often in smaller portions, it is essential to choose satisfying, but healthy snacks. Choosing carbohydrate and protein food content combinations can be an effective way to get in essential vitamins, minerals, but also provide tasty and satiating options. Additionally, eating carbohydrates in addition with protein helps to level out blood sugars, which can prevent spikes and then crashes in energy. Here are some super healthy snack options:
1) 1 Red Delicious Apple and piece of 2% Sharp Cheddar Cheese (170 calories)
2) 1 Banana and 1 Tablespoon of Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (185 calories)
3) 1 cup Red Seedless Grapes and 1 Light Babybel Cheese (150 calories)
4) 1 cup Steamed Spinach mixed with 2 Light Laughing Cow Cheeses (90 calories)
5) 1 Greek Yogurt and 1/2 cup Blueberries (185 calories)
6) 1 cup Celery Sticks and 2 Tablespoons of Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (180 calories)
7) 1/4 cup Raisins and 12 Raw Unsalted Almonds (195 calories)
8) 1/2 cup Chili Beans (Pinto, Kidney, Black) and 1/2 cup Shredded 2% Cheese (190 calories)
9) 1/2 cup 1% Cottage Cheese and 3/4 cup Diced Fresh Pineapple (145 calories)
10) 1/2 Pumpkin Puree, 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon, and 1 Scoop Vanilla Whey Protein Powder with 3/4 cup of Water (200 calories)
These snacks are uniquely super healthy for a variety of reasons including high content of essential vitamins and minerals, as well as disease fighting properties including antioxidants. Moreover, all these snack options are 200 calories or less per serving, which is incredibly helpful for weight maintenance or weight loss goals.