Healthy and Tasty Way To Start Your Morning
As most of you already know, America has a big problem: people are unhealthy. It seems as if every day I hear of a new weight loss drug or diet that promises good health with minimal work. The fact of the matter is that there are 2 things we, as humans, can do to sustainably lose weight and get healthy: eat right and exercise! But interestingly enough the former is, in my opinion, much more important. Consider that you can run for 30 minutes and burn 600 calories and within 15 minutes consume a burger and fries that equates to at least 1500 calories, netting you 900 calories! Even worse are the ingredients being used in the fast food that we consume on such a regular basis. So the question is...what can I eat that is both healthy, quick and not made of harsh preservatives and chemicals? And how can I do this cheaply?
About 8 months ago, as I noticed myself starting to pack on the pounds, I asked my self this exact questions. Luckily, my wife and I had recently received a blender for our wedding. I decided I was going to use it to create a quick and easy smoothie that tasted good and provided me with all the vitamins and nutrients that my body was craving.
It was a learning process for me, buying various fruit, veggies and juices; searching for what would give me the biggest "bang for my buck." I found the best place to get most of these things is Trader Joes, although you can get these ingredients at pretty much any grocery store. In the end, I developed a smoothie that I drink every morning for breakfast. Below you'll find my recipe; please feel free to tweak it based on your personal preferences. Of course, to start, you'll need a blender to mix all of this stuff up.
- 1 and 1/2 cups of kale (Trader Joes has this pre washed in a big bag for cheap)
- 1 and 1/2 cups of spinach (I use Trader Joes organic baby spinach)
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries (I use Trader Joes organic)
- 1 cup of frozen raspberries (I use Trader Joes organic)
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp of flax-seed (I like Bob's Red Mill Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal)
- 1 Cup of Orange Juice
- 1 Cup of Water
Combine all ingredients and blend for about 2 minutes.
What you'll notice is that the kale and spinach become undistinguishable as most of the taste is overtaken by the OJ and berries. I make this every morning in about 5 minutes and drink on my way to work every day.
What have I noticed after doing this for a while?
- I'm full until lunch time (if I get hungry, i'll munch on some almonds in the meantime)
- My complexion has improved - my skin has more color and less blemishes
- I can think more clearly at work
- I have more energy throughout the morning
- It makes a great pre-run drink that doesn't bog me down and provides lots of energy
- I'm much more regular (thanks to all that fiber)
- I get sick less often
- Blood Pressure and cholesterol improvements
- I've lost weight
The less obvious benefits include things like a lower rate of cancers and certain conditions because of all the nutrients, omega-3 and antioxidants.
Give it a shot for a month or so and see if you too can start to eat just a littler healthier everyday. I think you'll be amazed with the benefits.