Signs and Symptoms of Diarrhoea
Diarrhoea is a very unpleasant condition and some of the possible symptoms of diarrhoea include:
- Watery or loose bad smelly stools
- Stomach pain and bloating
- Stomach cramps
- Burning when passing stool
- Bloody stool is evident in very severe forms of diarrhoea, as well as not being able to hold in a bowel movement.
Causes of Diarrhoea
There are many different things that may cause someone to come down with diarrhoea. Some of these causes include:
- Bacterial infections like salmonella, E coli, shigella or campylobacter which can be caught through eating contaminated food or drinking bad water.
- Virus infections like rotavirus, hepatitis, herpes, or other similar viral diseases.
- Parasitical infections such as Giardia taken into the body through contaminated food or water.
- Food allergies such as when someone is lactose intolerant.
- Food poisoning
- Allergies to drugs.
- A bowel blockage
- Diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, celliac disease, cholera, Crohn's disease or inflammatory bowel disease
Treatment for diarrhoea
The main treatment for diarrhoea is to get rehydrated through getting plenty of fluids through either drinking or if necessary, through intravenous means. If it is caused by some sort of bacterial infection or parasite, antibiotics may be given. In some cases anti diarrhoea drugs like Kaopectate may also be given.
Persons who have diarrhoea should avoid greasy, sweet, or high fiber foods as they may make it worse. They should also not drink milk or eat dairy products as those also irritate it.
If you have diarrhoea, it is best to eat bland products like bananas, toast, plain rice, applesauce, crackers, cooked carrots or baked chicken. Children’s doctors recommend the BRAT diet, which stands for bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. I is vital that children and babies in particular are given plenty of fluids, as they can dehydrate quickly and could die from prolonged diarrhoea, so noticing the signs and symptoms of diarrhoea is vital.
In order to avoid diarrhoea while on vacation or travelling, it is best to drink bottled water if you are in a questionable area and to only eat in reputable restaurants and avoid street foods.
The main thing to remember about the signs and symptoms of diarrhoea and the treatment of diarrhoea is that it may be a symptom of other conditions, plus it can dehydrate the body extremely quickly and in some cases cause death, especially in young children or the elderly.