It was 8:20 in the morning. We were leaving our apartment for our life changing day. Nervous? YES! Scared? YES! This day was going to go down as one of the craziest days of both mine and my wife's life. I was checking and double checking to make sure that we had everything. Preparation for this day should have been ready weeks ago, especially considering that she was now 9 days past her due date. We got in the car and drove to the hospital at a solid five miles per hour under the speed limit. We didn't say much and the only thought that I could entertain was that when tomorrow came, we would be parents.

When we went to get the ultrasounds, we opted not to find out the gender of the baby. I recommend this for all first time parents! The excitement that fills both you the parents and your family is awesome. Everyone begins guessing and throwing out their assumptions of what you will have, but no one honestly knows until the child is born. 

We went into our room for a little before 9 a.m. The doctor greeted us and explained how the day would unfold. They asked my wife if she was considering an epidural, and she promptly explained "No, I hate needles!" and that was that. The doctor then informed us that he was going to get the tools to break the water and he would be right back.

After a few short moments, the doctor returned. The water breaking was the easiest part of the day! After this, it was just waiting it out. My wife selected some of her favorite DVD's and we began watching them. After about an hour or so, the pain increased and the nurse came in to check on her. My wife was a few more centimeters dilated which was exciting! But, the pain started to increase dramatically. The doctor came in and informed my wife that should she would want an epidural, that she would only have a few moments left. She gave in and decided to get the epidural, which in hindsight, probably saved me from having 3 or more broken fingers.

I left the room for an hour or so in which I grabbed food. I wasn't sure how many more meals I would have before I was a parent so I ate a little more than I should have, which turned out to prove as a phenomenal idea. When I returned to the room, my wife was polar opposite! She was smiling and happy, and seemed to appear that she was pain-free. She was barely even feeling the contractions now, and the procedure was going along without a hitch.

At 2 p.m. the nurse came in to check and see how many centimeters my wife was along. It was now deemed the time for her to start the pushing procedure. At first, my wife was pushing hard and was fully dilated, and the baby was moving right along. But then, we got held up. 

My wife pushed for three and a half hours, which is a VERY long time. The baby's head would not fit through the canal and a C-Section became a necessity. My family described me as a ghost when I heard this news. My Nerves were a flux about both my wife and the baby from the beginning, but now after hearing about the C-Section I was more worried than ever!  

They took my wife away to begin the preparation for the surgery. I also had to put on the scrubs so that I can go into the room. I then went into the room to hold my wife's hand and to make sure that my child and her would come through ok. About nine doctors in the surgery room, and my personal favorite (in the room) was the Anesthesiologist. As soon as he saw my wife in overwhelming pain, he gave her another suppressant. After a few short minutes (which felt like three hours) David Paul entered the Human Race.

The baby weighed 8 lb. 7 oz. and had a smile on his face right from the start. As half of the doctors were making sure that he was ok, the other half was taking care of my wife. After I got to hold my child, I had to give him back to the doctors so that they can do all their doctor activities with him. I then proudly went to proclaim to the world that I was a proud father of a boy and... they already knew!

If there was one thing that I was dreaming about doing, it was running out to family and friends and yelling the "It's a Boy!" or "It's a Girl!" but the Anesthesiologist, the same that was my favorite in the room, spoiled my fun. I was a little bummed, but only for a second as I was now a proud father, and that was more joy than any words can explain.

After about 30 minutes or so, I got to see my wife who was recovering. She was rambling on and on about sports and how she can't wait to hold her "little man". There was temptation to mess with her, but I was mostly just concerned that she was ok and in good spirits. 

At about 10:30 p.m. my wife finally got to hold her son. This was the best part of the day, and maybe one of the best moments of my life. As family left, and as it was just the three of us for the first time, I reflected a little. It was truly incredible how much life could twist around and produce such magic all in just one day.