The Origins and Meanings of Ten Popular Baby Boy Names
‘Traditional’ names are the most common baby boy names in recent years. Many of these names have biblical and Hebrew origins. If you are looking for a name for your baby boy, read on to find the meaning, origin and variations you can use to modernize ten of the most popular names. A list of famous people with each name is also included.Credit: Miguel Cabello from stockvault.net
Meaning: the supplanter, holder of the heel
With biblical ties, the name Jacob in the Old Testament refers to the son of Isacc and Rebecca. He became the father of the twelve founders of the tribes of Israel. The meanings ‘the supplanter’ and ‘holder of the heel’ relate to Jacob’s birth holding his twin brother’s heel.
Similar: Jaycob, Jacobus, Jakob
Famous People with the name Jacob:
- Jacob ‘Jake’ Gyllenhaal, actor
- Jacob Miller, musician
- Jacob Vargas, actor
- Jacob Teitelbaum, author
Meaning: stone worker
Originally a surname, the name Mason has since become popular as a first name for boys. It’s origin lies in in French meaning bricklayer or stone worker. It is also connected to the word ‘macian’ from Old English which means ‘to make’.
Famous People with the name Mason:
- Mason Locke Weems, author
- Mason Crosby, footballer
- Mason Adams, actor
- Mason Disick, son of Kourtney Kardashian & Scott Disick
Meaning: resolute guardian
Originally from the name Willahelm, this name became popular in England around the time of the reign of William the Conqueror.
Similar: Bill, Billie, Billy, Will, Willie, Willy
Famous People with the name William:
- William the Conqueror, first Norman king of England
- William Wallace, 13th century Scottish hero
- William Tell, 14th century Swiss hero
- William Shakespeare, playwright
- William Blake, poet
Meaning: green stone, thankful
Jayden is said to be derived from the Hebrew name ‘Jadon’. In the Old Testament, Jadon helped to rebuild Jerusalem.
Similar: Jaden, Jadyn, Jaiden, Jaydon, Jadon
Famous People with the name Jayden:
- Jayden Federline, son of Britney Spears and Kevin Federline
- Jaden Smith, son of Will & Jada Smith
Meaning: rest, comfort
In biblical terms, Noah built an ark after God warned him of the impending Great Flood.
Famous People with the name Noah:
- Noah Wyle, actor
- Noah Baumbach, film director
- Noah Webster, lexicographer
Meaning: who is like God
Another popular name with biblical origins, Michael is one of the archangels recognised by Jews, Christians and Muslims. He is believed to have led the angels in the war against Satan.
Similar: Micael, Mickie, Mikey, Mick
Famous People with the name Michael:
- Michael Jackson, singer
- Michael Jordan, basketball player
- Michael Douglas, actor
- Michael J. Fox, actor
- Michael Schumacher, F1 driver
- Michael Buble, singer
- Michael Moore, film producer
Meaning: strong, firm
In the Hebrew Bible, Ethan the Ezrahite, who is a wise man, is compared to Solomon. Ethan is said to be a cymbal player in the house of King David and also the author of Psalm 89.
Famous People with the name Ethan:
- Ethan Hawke, actor
- Ethan Phillips, actor
- Ethan Suplee, actor
- Ethan Lawrence, footballer
Meaning: helper and defender of mankind
Alexander is believed to be derived from the Greek name Alexandros. In the bible, Alexander aids Jesus with the carrying of the cross.
Similar: Alex, Al, Alecsander, Alexandar, Alexsander, Alix, Alixander
Famous People with the name Alexander:
- Alexander Graham Bell, inventor
- Alexander the Great, Macedonian King
- Alexander McQueen, fashion designer
- Alexander Rae Baldwin III (Alec Baldwin), actor
- Alexander Popov, swimmerCredit: Homero Chapa from stockvault.net
In Irish history, Aodh was the Celtic God of the sun and fire. The name Aidan was first a nickname for Aodh. The spelling has since been varied to Aiden. St. Aidan is an Irish saint that spread the word of Christianity. He was known as a kind and generous man.
Famous People with the name Aiden:
- Aiden Murdoch, son of Lachlan and Sarah Murdoch
- Aidan Kennedy, son of Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Mary Kennedy
- Aidan Gillen, actor
- Aiden Turner, actor
- Aidan Quinn, actor
Meaning: God is my judge
In the Bible, Daniel was the advisor to King Nebuchadnezzar. He interpreted the royal dreams. He was also known as a prophet who, when thrown into a den of lions, survived because of his faith.
Similar: Dan, Danny, Danal, Daneal, Danyal, Danyel, Dannie
Famous People with the name Daniel:
- Daniel Day-Lewis, actor
- Daniel Radcliffe, actor
- Daniel Craig, actor
- Daniel ‘Dan’ Akroyd, comedian
- Daniel ‘Danny’ Devito, producerCredit: Carin Araujo from stockvault.net
Read on to look at a list of unusual baby boy names and their meanings!