Small Carry On Luggage
You always find yourself bringing too much junk in your carry on when you fly. Here are some tips to lessen the load on your back and mind:
- Bring lightweight entertainment. A thin book, an electronic reader, or an MP3 player are good options. Since most airlines provide personal televisions for all passengers, you'll be sufficiently entertained watching the abundance of movies and T.V. shows.
- Only buy a small bottle of water once you pass security. Snacks and drinks are provided on most flights and meals are provided on many long-haul flights. Eat before your flight, either at home or at the airport.
- Use one bag as your carry on. We were all once that person who carries a personal bag, a piece of luggage, and a laptop bag. Instead, use one bag. A backpack works well if you want to keep your hands free.
- Window shop. All those duty-free shops look very tempting, but you don’t need most of the stuff they sell. You’re better off window-shopping to keep your bag light and your wallet full.
- Only pack a few articles of clothing. Pack a pair of underwear, a pair of socks, and a T-shirt. Wear durable pants on the plane that can last you a few days wear if your luggage is lost. You can wash your underwear, socks, and shirts in the sink.
- Bring tiny quantities of toiletries. Forget the three ounce bottles that you can buy in the drugstore. Use old contact lens cases for toothpaste, moisturizer, and other products.
- Wear glasses instead of contacts. Your saline solution, eye drops, contact case, and pair of glasses (in its case) all add weight to your carry on. Wearing glasses puts most of these items into your checked luggage.
- Dress warm. Instead of bringing a blanket or two, wear clothing that can be layered. Blankets take up a lot of room in your carry on and many can be heavy. Flight attendants on long haul-flights will usually provide you with blankets anyway.
- Keep the amount of valuables that you're bringing on board to a minimum. Perhaps you are carrying some pieces of jewelry that you could do without. Maybe some of your inexpensive costume jewelry you could put in your checked luggage.
- Keep your mind "light". Flying can be a very stressful experience but relaxing can make it enjoyable. Bring some Sudoku, crossword, or word search puzzles to keep your mind strong and happy. You could also bring some paper to write down what you expect from your travels or for whom to buy souvenirs for. Bon voyage!