Camping conjures up thoughts of roughing it and living without the usual amenities, but luxury camping changes all that. Below are ten places where you can leave the camping gear behind and camp with the comforts you'd expect in your own home and then some. The luxury camping sites listed below are all enjoyable for the entire family.
1. Clayoquat Wilderness Resorts and Spa, Tofino, British Columbia, Canada - A floatplane from Vancouver gets you to this remote destination amid the breathtaking scenery of British Columbia. Fishing, rock climbing and other activities are available.
2. Banyan Tree Madivaru, North Ari Atoll, Maldives - This is another remote destination, an island that limits its guests to only 18 at a time. A true tropical paradise, Banyan Tree Madivaru offers activities like snorkeling and dolphin spotting. At night, enjoy the calm island breezes and isolation.
3. Voyages Longitude 131, Ayers Rock, Australia - Go down under for this incredible experience in the Australian outback. Air conditioning and mini-bars are among the amenities that make this among the most luxurious outback experience you could have.
4. Global Expeditions, Inc., Arizona - Cowboys in the real Old West never had it so good. Activities at this western resort include horseback riding and rock climbing all under the big glorious western skies of Arizona.
5. GreystokeMahale, Mahale Mountains National Park, Tanzania - Wildlife lovers will enjoy this resort set in the middle of the world's biggest chimpanzee population. Nearby Lake Tangankiya contains more than 250 tropical fish species. Besides wildlife spotting, there's fishing and kayaking on offer.
6. The Resort at Paws Up, Paws Up Road, Greenough, Montana - This resort boasts luxury tents in a Western setting with ranch activities like cattle driving and trail riding. The whole family is sure to enjoy this look at cowboy life in rural Montana.
7. El Capitan Canyon, Santa Barbara, California - Horseback riding and whale watching are among the activities offered in this sunny California setting. Yoga and massages are also available.
8. Abercrombie and Kent, Jordan - Camp in the shadow of one of the New Seven Wonders of the World, the ruins of Petra. When not enjoying archeological delights, there are colorful merchant stalls to visit and camels to ride.
9. Whitepod Resort, Les Giettes, Switzerland - Equipped with wood-burning stoves, these "pods" are delightfully warm amid cold and snow. After a full day of winter activities including dog sledding and snowboarding, a spa awaits.
10. Eco Camp Patagonia, Torres del Paine, Chile - The mountain wilderness of Chile is the stunning setting for this site that offers horseback riding, kayaking and hiking. After a full day of activity, campers can relax in comfortable tents.