Rocking the red lips have been a classic staple in makeup, and some people are still a bit hesitant in going scarlet because they are unaware of the rules on wearing red lipstick. I can tell you this: It is possible to use that bit of red on your lips, regardless of your skin tone. You can never go wrong when you follow these rules. There's a difference between tacky and sassy.
The rules on wearing lipstick cover the basics, from choosing the right shade, to using the right nail color. And so, without further ado, I give you the Red Lipstick Commandments.
1. If you are wearing a bold lip, go easy on the rest of the face. Red is a color that catches attention. Think raccoon-ish eyes+clown-ey blush+red lips=total hot mess. A great tip is to do a natural eye, with just two coats of mascara to your top and bottom lashes to open up your eyes. The rule is: If you want to play up your eyes, go for a nude lip. If you want to play up your lips, go for a natural eye. It's as simple as that.
2. Use a liner to keep the color from bleeding. Use a liner and fill in your lips first before putting on the lipstick. Just think of it as putting rubber stoppers on the bottom of your carpet to keep it from slipping.
3. Know your right shade. People who have a pinkish undertone in their skin are most likely going to go well with a lipstick that has a cool undertone. Plum-based colors are best for this. For those who have yellow undertones in their skin, lipsticks that have warmer reds are their best bet. If you still don't know what kind of shade you are, there are some ways to determine your shade.
4. If you are wearing red lipstick, tone down your nail color. For you to be able to rock that elegant and sophisticated chic, opt for pale looking nail colors such as pale pinks and peaches. If red is really your thing, however, choose a shade that is closest to your lip color.
5. If a lip color doesn't go well on you, don't throw it out. Instead, try mixing it with different shades. Try to treat it like creating different shades for a painting. Try experimenting with color, and have fun while doing it too. If a shade is too bright, you can try toning it down with a more neutral color. If it's too dark, try mixing it with brighter colors.
As you can see, it's really not that difficult for you to find your own individual color. By just following the rules on wearing red lipstick, you can never go wrong. Remember, there are various shades and textures to choose from. Go for a matte lipstick if you want to go for a classic look. If you want to add more drama and glamour, you can put on a little bit of gloss.