What is Effective Teaching?
Teaching is one of the most challenging professions. It could also be a daunting job especially if the teacher is assigned to the young kids. The teacher is faced with a lot of challenges that could be very stressful.
Teaching young kids is not a walk in the garden but a real job that must be given serious attention. The kids are usually uncomfortable in their first days of school because they are still adapting to their new environment. As a result; many kids resort to tantrums and other ways to distract the people around them and get noticed. This is their way of expressing themselves and attracting attention. Very young kids are often difficult to handle in cases where they are taught formally. But this could be handled by using different techniques and different educational aids and gadgets in order to get the attention and interest of the children.
In order to teach young kids efficiently and help them have fun learning; here are the alphabet of teaching young kids.
1. Assist the kids where needed. Children are better off learning anything with the help of the teacher. They will discover that learning is fun if given the proper guidance and assistance. If there are activities to be done, make it fun by doing the activities with them. Let them see that you are also enjoying the activity so that they will have fun learning with you.
2. Build a good foundation for the kids. It is not always easy to handle situations in a classroom of very young kids. Usually, the kids are in their worst mood and you cannot just start teaching. The first thing that a teacher should bear in mind is to build first a good foundation where she could lay out her plans for her teaching objectives. Doing this will help enhance better learning for the young kids. A good foundation starts with the teacher creating a good bonding with the young kids where they could learn by having fun together. Once the teacher has built a good foundation, the learning process would go on smoothly and more effectively.
3. Change the bad mood of the Kids. Young kids are moody, take note of that. They always express how they feel with mood swings that they use to express their feelings to others. They cry, shout, hurt others and do anything that could make them comfortable. If you are not tactful enough to handle such situations, you will end up too stressed yourself. Think of ways to handle each child in difficult times. Each child who is properly guided and taken cared will be a good child.
4. Don’ts could be useful. There are always don’ts in everything we do, so bear in mind that there are also things that you should not do in school. Never resort to shouting and berating young kids when things are not going fine in the classroom. The more you shout, the more the young kids will be nervous and confused so they start to panic. Don't expect that kids are supposed to do this and that without looking into the proper way of handling situations.
5. Execute the best strategy of teaching. You are the teacher so you know the right method, techniques and strategies of teaching young kids efficiently. If you know your profession then you know how to teach properly and produce more effective and productive kids.
6. Feel confident when you are teaching. Feeling confident when teaching is synonymous to teaching more efficiently. You should tell yourself that you know how to teach. Having confidence keep you from giving up when things get mixed up and you feel frustrated. If you start telling yourself that you can handle things no matter how hard they are; the situation will become better for you and you will start thinking of ways to make your teaching more effective for the young kids.
7. Goal-setting is important. Set your goals to achieve in your teaching profession. Your goals should not be only for self-improvement but more importantly for the kids you are teaching. Your main goal should be to produce kids that are productive.
8. Hone the kids properly. Honing the kids is one of the objectives of a teacher. Honing means molding the kids to be better future people; not only academically but also morally and socially. If you are able to instill proper values to the children then you know that the kids will be better citizens tomorrow.
9. Instill the life-skills to the kids. Life-skills is very crucial in a child’s life because this is one of the factors that will determine the future of the child. Instilling life-skills is a very effective way of developing the child’s initiative to face the realities in life in the future.
10. Join the activities of the kids. You should always make sure that you are part of the kid’s activities in the classroom. Act like their friend, their parent and their guardian and be there when they are doing something.
11. Keep them interested. The best way to teach is to keep the kids interested in their lesson. This is not always easy to do especially for very young kids but you can do it by giving fun activities and thinking of other ways to make learning interesting and fun for them.
12. Lend them your ears. Listening to the kids is very helpful if you want a more harmonious classroom. Young kids shout when they are not paid attention to. Always have time to listen to the children and find out how they are doing in class.
13. Motivation is one of the crucial factors of a more effective teaching. Proper motivation is always helpful if you want the kids to learn more effectively. Once the kids are properly motivated, they will have fun learning things in class.
14. Never punish severely. Punishment is good but only where it is needed. Young kids need other techniques instead of punishment. You should always make punishment the last resort when handling young kids.
15. Observe the kids like a scientist. Observation is one of the best ways for the teacher to find out if her pupils are doing fine. As a teacher, you should make sure that all your pupils are comfortable and enjoying the activities in school so that you can take necessary actions. There are different individuals in your classroom just as there are different behaviors and ways of handling kids. Young kids have their own little world that they try to create. If you are the teacher, make sure that you are a keen observer so that you can embrace the problems inside your classroom.
16. Play with the kids. Playing with the kids is good because you are not only making them have fun but you are building a bonding with them that will keep them closer to you. A teacher whom children love is a good teacher who could produce good students as well.
17. Quit negative traits. Negative traits are a no-no if you are a teacher. Always be a good example to young kids because they are like parrots who imitate your every move and word. The kids maybe young but they know when you are misbehaving yourself.
18. Resort to positive approach at all times. No matter how hard teaching job is and no matter how hard to handle young kids; as a teacher, you must always resort to positive approach when handling things. Instead of spanking a kid who has misbehaved; talk to him in a nice way. Instead of shouting when the kids are unruly; give them fun activities. Positive approach always works better than negative approach.
19. Spice up your teaching method. Teaching needs spices too just like the food that you serve the young kids. If you are intent in keeping your class orderly; discover ways to always keep the kids well-behaved. Fun activities are always helpful for kids who are not paying attention. You cannot make young kids sit still for 5 minutes, so give them a lot of fun activities to spice up teaching and make learning more effective.
20. Talk to the kids. Talking always works. Instead of shouting to the kids; talk to them. Studies show that talking to a child works better than shouting or punishing him. If you talk to the kids, they will listen to you.
21. Unzip the secret of handling young kids. Every teacher has her own way of handling young kids; just like parents who have their own parenting methods. If you discover the secret of properly handling the young kids, you have no reason at all not to be an effective teacher.
22. Veer to the positive side of teaching.. Just like the captain who is in charge of the ship; you are the teacher who is in charge of the class. Always be positive when handling classroom situations so that you can address the needs of the kids.
23. Watch the kids carefully. Watching as the kids do their work is good because you can properly asses the difficulties and special skills of each child and be able to make some proper actions regarding the situation. Be sure to watch them carefully so that you will be able to help the kids in any difficulties they encounter while learning.
24.Xerox Copy your good methods but always opt for upgrades. As a teacher, you are the expert when it comes to handling kids and embracing classroom issues. If you try a method that does not work; always opt for another. You can experiment on different methods to use in order to properly address different situations. Once you have come to a good method, take note of it and maintain it then you can upgrade as you move on with your teaching job. Your purpose is for the betterment of your teaching method so you don’t have to Xerox copy everything.
25. Yes is not always a good answer. Learn to say no when the situation calls for it. It is not good to always say yes to young kids. There are kids who know how to turn their teacher around their fingers in order to satisfy their whims. No matter what a kid tells you, if you see that the child is only using it to fancy you, say no and that’s final.
26. Zip your mouth if you have nothing good to say. There are times when a teacher is really stressed and pissed that she wants to shout obscenities. This is a normal feeling specially if you are so tired, but rather than saying words that you will be sorry later; you can zip your mouth and wait until you simmer down. You can talk to the kids after a few minutes when you have calmed down and you can talk properly to them.
Being a teacher is not always easy but there are always ways to handle each situation and the better you handle them, the more effective you will become as a teacher.