If you have a combination skin, you may be feeling a little frustrating because you are kind of in the middle. For those who battle with oily or dry skin types, they will have to look into things that will suit them and keep their skin either hydrated or use something which is not going to lead to problems with acne.
They will know what to focus on, but if you have a skin type which is a little mixed up, then it is a case of experimentation a lot of the time. Once you have found out what works best, your skin will start to look a lot healthier.
Many people with this skin type find that they have oily cheeks or an oily nose. I have to smear extra sunscreen on my nose because I’m blessed with a nice big freckle plonked on the top. It’s also oilier, so I exfoliate there more.
The oily parts of your face are known as the T-zone and these need to be treated differently to that of the rest of your face, which is drier. You can do a test if you want to be really precise. This is actually a very good idea. You just take a few pieces of rice paper after you have cleaned your face properly. The paper will stick to the oily spots.
Getting into a Routine for Combination Skin
- Cleanse – this will depend on what your needs are, but I suggest you go for something neutral. I use Cetaphil as a cleanser and as a moisturizer. You may be surprised that something so cheap and affordable does the job, but it was recommended by a dermatologist - so there you go! There are lots of combination skin cleansers on the market, so take your time with this.
- Moisturize – If your skin is on the dry side, make sure you have something with good hydration properties and keep on applying throughout the day. If you have oily skin, you should look into something with a creamy texture. If you are going to apply any other treatments then do this first before you moisturize.
- A sunscreen should be included, but sometimes you may need something extra so make sure you have something which is going to keep you protected throughout the day.
- Extra treatments – there are loads of anti-aging products around that you could make use of, but you have to know what is right for you. Don’t experiment too much because this could end up costing a small fortune. A good eye cream which will increase collagen is a definite recommendation. It is also a good idea to have yourself booked in for a chemical peel at least once a year. You will start to see and feel the difference almost immediately. However, this is not for everyone, so weight up the pros and cons beforehand.
- Once a week – Don’t skip exfoliation. This is very important. Once a week is going to be enough. Don’t do this more than twice a week because it is going to be too heavy on the skin. Make sure you find something that is right for your skin. Rather go for something that is going to be gentler. You can also use a face masks for combination skin, but check your skin type before you go ahead with this.
If you have dry skin, you will want to look for something that provides you with more moisture. Homemade body scrubs have become very popular. However, if you have not heard of using things like honey, olive oil and sugar, you may be skeptical. Every ingredients does something different. On top of this, it's the most affordable scrub you will find.
A look at Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion
This is a product I came across, which is suitable for combination type skins. Clinique has a good name, and it is something I would recommend. Obviously you will have to test it out for yourself because everyone will not have the same opinion.
This is nothing new. It has been around for a couple of years now, but it is definitely popular amongst those who love their cosmetics. Not so long ago, it was rated as one of the top skin care products.
So that will tell you a thing or two about how effective it is. This has been selling well and it is still doing well in the reviews, both online and offline. Women have been rating it well, saying it has been doing a lot of good for their skin type.
The nice thing about this product is that it can be classed as a combination skin moisturizer is that it is appropriate for skins that are both oily and dry. It gives you a nice soft feel once you have finished with it. When your skin feels kind of dry, then this is the perfect solution.
Amazon Price: $65.00 $19.95 Buy Now
(price as of Oct 3, 2013)
Clinique is a brand that stands out in a positive light and you can really trust this name. It comes in the form of a pump, so the design has been well thought out. This means that you are not losing much of the fluid. You can often lose so much from a tube of moisturizer when it comes in a pouring format. There is also less chance of bacteria spreading and this goes for those with sensitive skin especially.
Most moisturizers comes with an SPF, however, Clinique has missed this one out. I don’t know if it was on purpose or it was just by accident. Protection is essential in this day and age, so you will have to get yourself something extra to be on the safe side.
Apparently it was designed to be the most accurate in combination aspects to your skin in terms of natural oils and water. Clinique suggests an SPF which contains anti-oxidants, containing UVA and UVB, which would probably work with a foundation.
The SPF aspect would bring on a debate because on the one hand, it is true that you are more inclined to break out because of chemicals that are used in the formulas. However, it is a must that you use protection and spending extra money can be a hassle. So far there have been positive reports relating to irritants with Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizer.
Those who follow this brand or who are always looking for a product to take note of will find that this one is really not a bad one to start off with. You can find various ingredients in the lotion, which help in a variety of ways. For example, Sesame oil helps prevent bacteria from forming and Propylene Glycerol, which helps the skin retain moisture.