Genentech in 1978 made humulin as a recognized name for a group of biosynthetic human insulin or humulin insulin products with generic names like regular insulin and insulin isophane and insulin zinc suspension. Its a combination of ultralente and semilente that was later acquired by Eli Lilly, an American chemist, businessman, industrialist and founder of Eli Lilly & Co pharmaceutical corporation. This is the company which debatably made easy the product's endorsement with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Manufactured in a laboratory strain of Escherichia coli bacteria which has been genetically changed to make biosynthetic human insulin, humulin can be in various types or features.
* Humulin R [Regular insulin human injection, USP (rDNA origin)] includes zinc-insulin crystals dissolved in a clear fluid that gives results within half an hour and the effects last between 4 to 12 hours, which again may differ very much from person to person or even in the same person at different times.
* Humulin R - its more concentrated and it is a man-made type of a produced hormone in the body. Its function is to lower down the levels of glucose or sugar in the blood. It is a long-acting form of insulin that varies from other structures made from animals. This intense substance is intended to treat type 1 diabetes, also known as insulin-dependent diabetes. These are the people with significant need, which is more than 200 units daily.
* Humulin N [Human insulin (rDNA origin) isophane suspension] is a crystalline suspension of human insulin with zinc and protamine that supply transitional insulin with a slower pace and a longer period of activity than the naturally produced substance for one day.
* Humulin insulin is manufactured also in a special non-disease-producing laboratory strain of Escherichia coli bacteria that has been hereditarily changed to produce human insulin. This is called Humulin 70/30 which refers to a mixture of 70% Human Insulin Isophane Suspension and 30% Human Insulin Injection (rDNA origin).
* Humulin 50/50 is a non-prescription diabetes treatment. It contains two types: the intermediate-acting and the short-acting insulin. This is used for type 1 or type 2 diabetes individuals in order to control their blood glucose (sugar) levels. It appears in injectable form and is injected just under the skin, normally two times daily just around 30 minutes before taking a meal. Possible side effects can be sensitivity to reactions and skin responses at the injection area.
According to various websites, Humulin is equal in substance composition to human insulin.