Aside from sports utility vehicles' increased seating capacity, it is also favored by many for its sturdy design and less-bulky appearance as compared to vans.
However, most SUV owners are not aware that they are more likely to be involved in rollover accidents that may eventually require the assistance of a car accident attorney in Los Angeles as compared to motorists who drive sedans and other smaller, more compact piece of automotives.
This is because of SUV's higher center of gravity which can easily cause it to lose balance.
According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, rollover accidents cause around 36 percent more passenger injuries as compared to other vehicular accidents because occupants are more prone to head injuries and vehicle ejections in these accidents.
In order to lessen the possibility of being involved in an accident, SUV drivers must:
- Make an effort to understand and master the handling, acceleration, and braking of SUVs as it is different as compared to the skill needed when driving other passenger vehicles.
- Avoid making sharp turns and sudden direction shifting.
- Make sure that the weight inside the vehicle is equally distributed and, if possible, there would be lesser weight beyond the rear axle.
- Be aware of weather changes and road conditions as slippery roads increase the risk of vehicle rollovers.
- Avoid over steering and over correcting as SUVs can easily lose its balance and roll over.
Aside from these, SUV drivers, like everybody else, must keep their attention focused on the road and avoid distractions such as the use of cell phones and other hand-held gadgets. Also, since head injuries and ejections are common among these accidents, occupants must always wear seatbelts that should keep them seated inside the vehicle.
Since everyone has a high chance of being involved in a road accident, it would be best for motorists to have the contact number of a trusted Los Angeles personal injury attorney whom they can call after an accident.
These experts will advise them of what they should do in order to obtain more evidence of the other party's liability in the accident. Pieces of evidence would include photos of the damage to your vehicle, a copy of the incident report, and possibly, eyewitness account of the events.
Be wise and let these lawyers guide you to attain compensation or a settlement that would cover all your losses from the accident, This usually includes the expenses for vehicle repairs, lost earnings due to an injury, and medical expenses.